Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thread prefix's

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage View Post
    I think I see what Sapper is saying. To me these prefixes would only really be needed in the sales orientated threads, and that area of the site was only added to assist people in forwarding their used/hand made goods to fellow shcrafters. Being that this forum is all about free knowledge/skills sharing, this section doesn't really need to have so much focus on it. Especially with the limited time that each mod can spend online to maintain any "extras" that may be available.

In theory it should be easy to identify the threads you want, as long as the OP includes the correct wording in the title.

Just my personal views, and my take on why Sapper mentioned that nasty word (commercial)
    Exactly
    [

I agree with Adze, my 2p worth ! If threads can go off on a tangent with NBC merchandising, then a bit of highlighting 'aint a biggi.

I think I see what Sapper is saying. To me these prefixes would only really be needed in the sales orientated threads, and that area of the site was only added to assist people in forwarding their used/hand made goods to fellow shcrafters. Being that this forum is all about free knowledge/skills sharing, this section doesn't really need to have so much focus on it. Especially with the limited time that each mod can spend online to maintain any "extras" that may be available.

In theory it should be easy to identify the threads you want, as long as the OP includes the correct wording in the title.

Just my personal views, and my take on why Sapper mentioned that nasty word (commercial)

Yes, I'm talking about the private sales section (Buy/Sell/Gift Kit) where it would be useful. It isnt really the site that would be commercialized its basically making it more organized for people who want to buy/sell/trade their gear.

Yes in theory it would be easier if people titled things correctly but this doesnt really happen or at least not consistent. The thread prefixes makes it much simpler as all you do is choose which prefix to use when creating post and its automatically added instead of relying on user to use correct wording. Plus they're colored and easily see-able at a glance.

I dont really see what harm it would do, It's just a small thing that can make big difference.
    Last edited by ADz; 26-06-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Chill folks.

I think understandably some our mods weren't particularly interested in raising the profile/focus of the buying/selling area, I know your saying it's a usability/experience issue not a commercial issue but you can appreciate if all of a sudden a service facilitates a function so much better it could potentially get used for that function a lot more with the end result of a lot more buying/selling here on the forum which is what the mods were talking about... you both had your points

I will put it on the list of things to do but it's not high on the agenda.

I think I may have found a developer I can trust to help me out with some of the admin & more complicated coding problems with the site, I will try using some of the donations to pay them for 2-3 hours work a month so hopefully the more important things may get fixed.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post

I dont really see what harm it would do, It's just a small thing that can make big difference.
    It would make things a lot clearer, I agree. I would still be concerned that it would make the site look more commercial to the outside world, or make it more appealing for people that just want to come here to sell, and not contribute

I'm not saying it's a really bad idea, that should never be added.

EDIT...just saw the post above by Ash. Pretty much what I was trying to put into words, but fell short
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 26-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

It would make things a lot clearer, I agree. I would still be concerned that it would make the site look more commercial to the outside world, or make it more appealing for people that just want to come here to sell, and not contribute

I'm not saying it's a really bad idea, that should never be added.
    Likewise......
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Chill folks.

I think understandably some our mods weren't particularly interested in raising the profile/focus of the buying/selling area, I know your saying it's a usability/experience issue not a commercial issue but you can appreciate if all of a sudden a service facilitates a function so much better it could potentially get used for that function a lot more with the end result of a lot more buying/selling here on the forum which is what the mods were talking about... you both had your points

I will put it on the list of things to do but it's not high on the agenda.

I think I may have found a developer I can trust to help me out with some of the admin & more complicated coding problems with the site, I will try using some of the donations to pay them for 2-3 hours work a month so hopefully the more important things may get fixed.

Ah, I see and understand now. Thanks for clarification Ash.

I do feel though that been able to sell/trade gear with each other is or should be a part of the community but also understand that you dont want it becoming a big part.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    I do feel though that been able to sell/trade gear with each other is or should be a part of the community...
    It already is and will continue to be so.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace