Thread: Deer Recipes wanted

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar

Deer Recipes wanted

I've just acquired a whole Roe deer from a shooting colleague of mine and spent most of last evening skinning and butchering it. Now apart from the usual steaks, roasts and burgers\sausages does anybody have any good venison recipes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1025298_617835664894920_1850815652_o.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	9102
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

I've had venison so rarely I wouldn't want to do any thing except cook it well.
    I would like to try cooking it long and slow in the ground with hot rocks.
    The heart, I'm told is particularly good and apparently full of taurine (which they put in pick-me-up drinks).
    And don' forget to save the brain to cure the skin with. If you don't have time for that now, you can bag up both the skin and brain and freeze it.
    Of course, maybe you knew all that already an' I'm just teaching you to suck eggs. Sorry
    Last edited by NickB; 25-06-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Couldn't help you with recipes, but how cool that you've skinned it by yourself! Part of the job, I guess
    Bushcraft newbie!

If you like jerky try this. Take a good cut of deer meat and remove the silver skin and any fat or tendon. Slice it up into 1/4 inch thick slices about 1-1/2" - 2" wide. Place the meat in a plastic container with a lid. Add enough teriyaki sauce, liquid smoke, coarse black pepper, sea salt, and red pepper (this makes it spice). A teaspoon of honey also helps. Keep the meat in the marinade in the fridge for a couple of days. Take them out and dry them all off. No liquid should remain. Remove any fat at this time as well. Sprinkle coarse black pepper all over both sides of the meat and rub it in. Your should be set to the lowest temperature possible. Drape the strips over clean oven wraps and don't crowd. Close the door and wait for 8 hours. Check and if the jerky snaps when you bend a piece then it's ready. Store in a jar or container wrapped in paper towel and keep in a cool, dry place. Vacuum seal if possible. The recipe can be changed to suit your taste or the meat can be just dried with a bit of pepper and salt rubbed on it.
    "This is Liberty Hall - you can spit on the mat and call the 'cat' naughty names!" LOL

any recipe that uses beef you can substitute venison.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

For steaks - marinade for a couple of days in dry red wine, chopped shallots and garlic, big handful of ripped up parsley, a few crushed juniper berries, salt and pepper.

Flash fry them and leave to rest in warm oven.

Strain off the marinade (you probably won't need all of it) and quickly reduce in the frying pan with a big dollop of redcurrant sauce.

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    For steaks - marinade for a couple of days in dry red wine, chopped shallots and garlic, big handful of ripped up parsley, a few crushed juniper berries, salt and pepper.

Flash fry them and leave to rest in warm oven.

Strain off the marinade (you probably won't need all of it) and quickly reduce in the frying pan with a big dollop of redcurrant sauce.
    Will someone pass a napkin
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

This is a recepee we use for reindeer, moose, deer and lamb

Cut about 1/2 kilo of the meat (from any part of the animal) into thin slices. (2-3mm thick)
    Brown in frying pan with a good oil.
    Add som black pepper and salt.
    Pour in 2dl of milk cream
    stir in 2dl of cottage cheece or preferably sour cream.

Serve with jasmine rice AND boiled potatoes and eat in the following way:

Peel the potatoes and crush them with your fork on the plate. Add a good helping of rice.
    Mix the crushed potatoes and the rice, make a "bowl" in the middle of the mixed potato and rice, spoon in the meat sauce. And mix that in.

Enjoy.

In this video I make the bushcraft version of the dish, cooked over a fire built on juniper.

P.S....some vegetables may also be served on the side. I.e carrots, broccoli etc
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 27-06-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum