Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hardcore Tent

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Mac View Post
    German Sheep Dog? It was a Springer of somesort IIRC, complete with flashing torch on his jacket. Scared the life out of me when he came tearing across the moor towards us in the dark!
    Yup...Nick the Kinder handler has a GSD....she's a sweetie...If it was a black and white Springer ? Then thats Toby from Glossop....good dog. I have a Border Collie like most handlers as for the lights some have flashing strobes, some use cyalumes most use bells t least if you cant see the dog, you can hear it
    [

Sounds like Toby then, ha small world and all that! Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Mac View Post
    Sounds like Toby then, ha small world and all that! Nice one
    Not many MR dog handlers about fella.....just less than 100 nationally (UK) give or take......inc IOM
    [

Peasant
    Vaude taurus UL is a good 2man - pretty lightweight, easy to set up and roomy enough, costs £300 though

I have a Gelert Chinook ll which is big enough for one man and his kit. I know you said you want a low height and ive been eyeing these up (but resisting so far) ...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yellowston...item19de30a2a0

i do tend to buy inexpensive tents and get a couple of years out them then buy again. My fave tho is still my modded Polish lavvu
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/jack-wolfskin-gossamer-bivvi-tent-76110007?channel_code=110&product_code=71955404&ut m_source=google-shopping&_$ja=tsid:45886&gclid=CKGUodOzy7gCFfQetAo dWn0AaA Jack wolfskin gossamer low profile and the flysheet is attached and can be rolled back in good weather to stargaze .
    Last edited by cuppa joe; 25-07-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    oh well try again

Have you looked at the "one man recon" tents that mostly come in flektarn pattern? I have one, it's quite sturdy, bout 2.5kg, packs up quite small, is a doddle to put up (takes literally 1 min), plenty of room (I'm 6' 2" and have loads of room!) and they only cost 60 quid delivered!:-D

My wife and I suffered a terrible night in Snowdonia in an £150 tent 20 odd years ago, the tent it's self isnt a bad one but was well out of it's depth, from then on I vowed only to have the best tent I could afford, my reasoning being that if you have a good/dry nights sleep you have a good chance that you can cope with what the day can throw at you. So food for your thoughts, here are my two small tents I now use for canoe trips.

My choice then was the wonderful Wild Country (now Terranova) Trisar+ a three pole semi geodesic 3+ season tent, bought out of retirement for a 6 day paddle n Scotland in Sept....

and here about 20 years ago ild camping in the Rhinnog Mountains, funnily enough I still cook on that Trangia and pots although the kettle bit the dust a few years back and still use that MOD water bottle lol

Or if I want any more room a full geodesic Robens Fortress seen here in the highlands of Scotland Jan 12

Both tents are able to stand up to gale force winds rain and snow, are not that dependent on where the tent pegs go as the Robens is fully self standing and the Wild Country needs just the porch pegged out. With both of these tents I have plenty of room if I or we need it.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."