Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cellphones in Bushcrafting

Quote Originally Posted by MadZ View Post
    rescue teams should be allowed to give people that do this kind of thing a swift kick in the backside, pretty sure they would pack a map and compass after receiving a steel toe cap to the rear.
    Who says they dont ? Kind of defeats the charitable objects of the rescue teams though......
    [

now i know where all these concussed hikers are coming from

been toying with the idea of contacting the nearest srt team or closest equivalent to see if i could volunteer myself, i guess there always on the look out for another helping hand??

any chance of some advice on whats required, equipment, personal skill levels etc, would be very much appreciated if any of you are in the know and would not mind pointing me in the right direction.

cheers

Madz

First question.....where do you live ? That decides which service is closest ie Mountain Rescue, Lowland Rescue or CG SAR
    [

swindon, wiltshire

Sapper cheers for replying

Madz

That's makes it lowland rescue then. Not sure on their exact requirements for membership more info here

http://www.alsar.org.uk/
    [

legend sapper thank you

Edit: downloaded the trainee application form for WILSAR, we will see where it leads, thanks again sapper
    Last edited by MadZ; 27-08-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Hope you have plenty of time and money because it will eat both....particularly money not just in kit but in fuel
    [

time will not be an issue, money maybe be a slight issue due to a young and growing family, but i know a fair few guys that would happily donate me there kit if they knew what the cause was.

basically i want to do something worth while and i believe this is it, if i can make a difference just once then i would be happy, i have noticed from the news and media coverage that there are more and more people in my area that get them selves into issues and from looking at the WILSAR site i think this is for me hands down

cant thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction, I'll keep you posted on what comes of it if anything cheers

Madz

Quote Originally Posted by MadZ View Post
    i have noticed from the news and media coverage that there are more and more people in my area that get them selves into issues and from looking at the WILSAR site i think this is for me hands down
    The 'issues' are many and complicated... I have seen, carried, and recovered by various means more dead folks, in various states of decomposition in 2 months (never mind the near 14 years i have served) than most people will see in a lifetime. I'm not trying to put you off but dealing with the aftermath of these things is something you may want to consider too. OK sure folks get lost, but the unseen and very real face of SAR is looking for dementia/alzheimers patients, runaways, despondents/the suicidal, and in extremis there is the possibility of getting involved in criminal investigations and the media circus that follows it around.

Hopefully you will be given all this info on first approach...I have some mates in ALSAR so if you need info just drop me a PM
    [

these are things that i have considered, thanks for your concerns though, i have had dealings with the dead in more ways than one, though its not nice and does have a toll on you mentally, physically and emotionally, i feel that those stresses on the family and other people involved greatly out weigh my own, this is partly the reason i decided to follow this route, its been on my mind for a few years now, and from seeing the things posted here about peoples issues etc its set the ball rolling.

hopefully i will meet there criteria and be accepted into there ranks in one way or another.

i will certainly give you a shout if i need any other info, thank you again for your time and patience

cheers

Madz