Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cellphones in Bushcrafting

Cellphones in Bushcrafting

So 'cause the discussion got out of hand in my other thread, I'm going to start a new one on usability, relaiance and so on and so forth here.

Discuss your minds out.

A point that caught my attention was:

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    An aside: I was browsing the 2011 MREW stats and couldn't help seeing this on page 10: "Row 8 - the number of incidents initiated using a mobile phone by the subject requiring assistance." the statistic is 49% - much higher than I expected.
    That'S the mainreason for this thread. If my english doesn't betray me, that states that the people in need of rescue where able to call for it by cellphone, right?

Happy discussing,
    Corbeau
    I am in fact a Hobbit in all but size. I like gardens, trees, and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food, (...); I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humor (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late (when possible.) - J.R.R.Tolkien

That 49% is only 'activation' it may not actually be from the site of the incident. Some of the busiest teams in the country have the best phone reception at some of their accident hotspots...others may not.....

http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/in...ent-statistics

and this is the advice

."..and the right equipment

A map and compass are essential kit and should be easily accessible – not buried in the rucksack!
    A mobile phone and GPS are useful tools but don't rely on your mobile to get you out of trouble – in may areas of the mountains there is no signal coverage.
    Take a whistle and learn the signal for rescue. Six good long blasts. Stop for one minute. Repeat. Carry on the whistle blasts until someone reaches you and don't stop because you've heard a reply – rescuers may be using your blasts as a direction finder.
    A torch (plus spare batteries and bulbs) is a must. Use it for signalling in the same pattern as for whistle blasts.
    At least one reliable watch in the party.
    Cllimbers and mountain bikers should wear a helmet. In winter conditions, an ice-axe, crampons and survival bag are essential.
    Emergency survival kit comprising spare clothing and a bivvi bag."
    [

Relienace on a Mobile phone..... dont.......

Ive got to agree, id never go on the hills without a mobile, but chances are when I needed it would be the time with no signal. Much better to make sure someone will miss you if you dont return by a set time, and leave them details of the route you would be taking.
    Not all those who wander are lost

As stated a mobile should only be one tool in your safety precautions. But this video is worth a watch to make it a little more effective in some circumstances.

Out of curiosity, how many members have an I.C.E. number in the contact on their mobile?
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many members have an I.C.E. number in the contact on their mobile?
    Yup and the buggers can use it if 1) it survives the fall and 2) if they can figure out my password! Also 3) they may just have to pay the bill so that it will cooperate!

All tongue in cheek of course before anyone gets out of their pram I normally leave a route plan and contacts card on view in the motor and carry one in my top pocket. Poxy mobile phone (if it has a signal) carried but off in case the wife wants a satellite nag. Not tongue in cheek.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

I am pretty sure that 99% of all bushcraft happens within spitting distance from the nearest pub. Most Bushcrafters are not mounting expeditions into the deep unknown, and will be able to call mum for help from wherever they are in 95% of the cases. The last 5 % covering malfunctions, dead batteries, lost phones, and no coverage. And that 99% of all calls or use of the said phones is the bushcraftyer calling their mom/wife to tell them that they will come homne a tad later than planned because they overslept in their hammocks...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    they will come homne a tad later than planned because they overslept in their hammocks...
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

yeah but if the other 1% is saving a live it is fine, at least thats what i think.

I don'T have a ICE number on my phone because it is locked ... i have emergency contacts in my wallet, my jacket inside pocket and in the toppocket of my backpack...that should be enough.
    I am in fact a Hobbit in all but size. I like gardens, trees, and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food, (...); I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humor (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late (when possible.) - J.R.R.Tolkien