Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Phone apps for Android

Quote Originally Posted by Yungen of Bury View Post
    but using your smart phone to see what plant is what as you go DRAINS THE BATTERY.
    Which is specifically why we have extended battery's, spare battery's or even portable USB chargers

Worrying about running out of battery is a non-issue if you're prepared. I have default battery, an extended one and a NewTrent USB charger which holds an extra 3 battery's worth and all this takes up virtual no extra space/weight.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    those fail (which is inevitable) because of battery/signal etc then you have map/navigation skills to fall back on.

your words

Worrying about running out of battery is a non-issue if you're prepared. I have default battery, an extended one and a NewTrent USB charger which holds an extra 3 battery's worth and all this takes up virtual no extra space/weight.
    Do you know how long all your batteries last at -10 ?

and this is a subject that has been done already

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...ht=mobile+apps
    Last edited by Silverback; 17-06-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    your words

Do you know how long all your batteries last at -10 ?

and this is a subject that has been done already

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...ht=mobile+apps
    Yes, and as I also said you can fall back on navigation skills (If you have them). Or if you forget the extra battery.

If you was going into a -10 situation then you obviously wouldn't rely on or expect to use battery power.

Its about choice, If you choose to use technology/convenience there is nothing wrong with it but if you go into dangerous environments and only rely on tech then that is obviously silly.
    Last edited by ADz; 17-06-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

...wouldnt it be better not to get lost in the first place ? Theres an easy way round that learn to read a map, learn how to use a compass, astral and natural navigation and............. stop relying on technology, the free ride in a big yellow helicopter, or the free guiding service....
    +1
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

I have a Medical Memo in A5..its laminated so its waterproof, I can write on it with marker or chinagraph and it doesnt run out of electricity. First Aid like navigation is a skill that degrades, it has to be practiced as well as read. Reading about First Aid is no substitute for a course, appropriate training and of course regular practice and updates.
    Every course I teach I finish the CPR section with "Don't let your CPR skills get rusty the life you save may be a mates or that of one of your children. The British forces are not as good at what they do by practicing once every three years"
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    dangerous environments and only rely on tech then that is obviously silly.
    But as i keep trying to impress on you people do ! The availability of tech, apps and associated toys is getting more and more people into trouble every day - whats the point of a viewranger mapping system for example if you cant navigate for toffee in the first place - there are people who think that you programme waypoint a to waypoint b and like satnav it will work out the safest and most appropriate route, which of course it wont. On Ben Nevis getting a compass bearing wrong in clag will see you in serious trouble as you walk off the edge of Gardyloo Gully and plunge 1800 ft to your death.

If you was going into a -10 situation then you obviously wouldn't rely on or expect to use battery power.
    so your batteries arent worth a jot then... the first NSB meet it got down to -14 at one point ....

I never said technology didnt have its place or its uses what I have been saying all along is the total reliance on technology and gadgetry is not silly its stupid, maybe dangerous and in some environments down right irresponsible. Use tech by all means but it should be a back up to good solid skills and experience not a replacement - the lazymans option !
    [

Attachment 9008

'nuff said !
    [

Going round in circles gents and going to end in tears....

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Going round in circles gents and going to end in tears....
    no it isnt - end of chat...
    [

My thinking is this. I navigate in and out using traditional methods. I.e I know where I am, either because I am familiar with the area, or by map and compass.

In my jacket pocket, warmed by my body heat is my phone and a spare, charged battery. In the unlikely event that I hurt myself and can't self rescue, I have an app on my phone that on the press of a button, will send my position straight to rescue services. This has allready saved lives in Norway.

For sure it cant be relied uppon. But it's more likely that it will work than not. And having it is better than not.

Here is a terrible google translate of an article about it.

http://translate.google.com/translat...app-1.11084334
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum