Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Phone apps for Android

veiwranger for me...(runs for cover)

Quote Originally Posted by wildish64 View Post
    veiwranger for me...(runs for cover)
    but you know how to read a map and navigate using the land / nature.......
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post

But why use a map if you have an electronic one at hand? I'm not saying don't use paper maps, quite the contrary, I really want to have that skill and think its very important to have these skills but it doesn't mean you cant or shouldn't also have/use quicker/more convenient ways when and if you feel like it. For example if I was going on a long drive or somewhere I didnt know (If I was a driver) There is no way I would just rely on a map if I had a GPS/mapping device.

We all have our own opinions and preferences and come from different generations and my personal preference would be to use a electronic map/gps first and if those fail (which is inevitable) because of battery/signal etc then you have map/navigation skills to fall back on.

This can obviously work in reverse sometimes though because I would personally find it more fun/satisfying to light (or attempt) to light a fire using bushcraft techniques then to simply take lighter our of my pocket.

Anyway, back on topic...

@ Corbeau

These are just some examples, Not saying they're the best options as I haven't had chance to test them properley or compare yet but it should be a good place to start for you....

Emergency Button: Define a phone number and/or an email address and whenever you press the big red button, the distress signal will be sent out to these recipients along with your GPS/Network location (a google maps link) and a personalized message.

MapsWithMe Pro, Offline Maps
    :
    The fastest offline maps of the entire world. Feel confident while traveling. Maps work everywhere, anytime!

BackCountry Navigator PRO GPS:
    Use your phone or tablet as an offroad topo mapping GPS with the bestselling outdoor navigation app for Android! Explore beyond cell coverage for hiking, and trekking.

First Aid:
    When you are in a emergency situation, how to deal with it? You need some instructions and First aid is your first choice. (Note: Important to already have first aid skills but just in case use this as fall back/reference etc)

Fungitron - mushroom guide:
    HIGHEST number of FREE mushrooms (70), with own, expert verified HQ photos. HIGHEST number of combinable identification parameters (~150).

Geocaching:
    Use the Official Geocaching.com App to find cleverly hidden containers. The app unlocks the exclusive coordinates and info for nearly 2 million hidden geocaches.

Knots 3D:
    Knots 3D - Tie, untie and rotate 85+ knots with your finger in 3D! ★
    Our top-rated 3D knot app, will give you a whole new perspective on knots! Grab a piece of rope and have fun!

Mushrooms PRO:
    + + + The ultimate pocket sized identification tool for mushrooms! + + +
    +++ 300 species - 2000 images - identification function - quiz +++

Mushtool - Mushroom:
    Mushtool is an application for all the mushroom finders, from amateurs to professionals.

My Tracks:
    My Tracks records your path, speed, distance, and elevation while you walk, run, bike, or do anything else outdoors. While recording, you can view your data live, annotate your path, and hear periodic voice announcements of your progress.
    - Identify the mushroom with a great quality pictures.

ViewRanger Outdoors GPS & Maps:
    Free Global Open Sourced Maps
    ViewRanger is the complete offline mapping, navigation & guided trail service for Outdoor Enthusiasts. Perfect for backcountry exploring or simply days out in the frontcountry.

Wild Edibles:
    Wild Edibles provides an intuitive and easy to use interface for identifying and using wild edible plants, drawing on the outstanding publications and extensive knowledge of "Wildman" Steve Brill.

SAS Survival Guide:
    For over twenty years, the SAS Survival Guide has been the definitive guide to surviving any situation, anywhere in the world. Now, for the first time ever, the million-copy bestselling book and the hugely successful iPhone/iPad app, has been reinvented for the Android.
    Last edited by ADz; 17-06-2013 at 02:45 AM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

'
    Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post

We all have our own opinions and preferences and come from different generations and my personal preference would be to use a electronic map/gps first and if those fail (which is inevitable) because of battery/signal etc then you have map/navigation skills to fall back on.

If you have the nav skills in the first place...... If you care to search the figures you will see a definate trend towards vehicles ending up in daft places thanks to 'dashboard doris'...and more worryingly for folks in the emergency services those going out with a mobile app thinking it will get them up and down Ben Nevis you know the press a button and take me home' app - this leads to other people putting thier lives potentially at risk for people who place absolute trust and reliance on technology - have a look at the bigger picture.

and its not a generational thing middle aged and older folks rely on technology too....
    Last edited by Silverback; 17-06-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    [

'

If you have the nav skills in the first place...... If you care to search the figures you will see a definate trend towards vehicles ending up in daft places thanks to 'dashboard doris'.
    That's because these people dont use common sense and instead blindly follow the satnav or they use out of date maps which is a extremely common problem.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

I made a free camping knots app that you can download from PhoneGap build page: https://build.phonegap.com/apps/37310/share

I've not put it in the app store because I'm too tight to pay for the privilege of providing my app for free. No wonder people riddle their apps with adds. Maybe one day.

PS. If anyone has an idea for an app, or would like more knots than my app currently shows, please let me know and I'll have a go.

PPS. It's really nothing fancy, just a series of photos showing basic knots in step-by-step instructions like this:

The full source code is available on GitHub.
    Last edited by Bernie; 17-06-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    That's because these people dont use common sense and instead blindly follow the satnav or they use out of date maps which is a extremely common problem.
    YES .....Dont you think I know this ? Its what I'm getting at.... Implicit reliance/trust on technology, lack of basic knowledge and lacking in common sense, oh and the attitude that the 'road closed' notice doesnt mean them......dangerous mix, this info taken from first hand experience of going out there looking for/rescuing them...!
    [

Cool, thanks Bernie, will check it out

Trapper
    my 2p.

using these apps sat at home, on the bus/tram is a good thing, same as reading a book. however using them outdoors is a bad idea. not specifically because they are innacurate, or unreliable. but using your smart phone to see what plant is what as you go DRAINS THE BATTERY.
    killing your battery for kicks when you could well need that same device later in an emergency isnt paticularly wise...

so, by all means get apps read up go mad. but remember your phone is a piece of kit. and you need to care for it, remember its purpose outdoors and make sure its fit for that purpose.

mini rant over