Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tapatalk signature not showing.

some of us 'need' phones.......If i didnt have a phone then I'd be called out by pager
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    some of us 'need' phones.......If i didnt have a phone then I'd be called out by pager
    I also "need" my phone, for business purposes.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    I also "need" my phone, for business purposes.
    I'm sure we managed without mobiles for business purposes.....its less of a need and more of a convenience...the almost complete reliance of some of the population of this country on technology is quite disturbing...but thats for another discussion on another thread
    [

.the almost complete reliance of some of the population of this country on technology is quite disturbing...but thats for another discussion on another thread
    iv also noticed and been concerned by this... im 24 and some of my mates are in this category.. seems we cant even go for a pint without some of them spending more time on their phones than actually having a laugh with eachother in person! haha

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    iv also noticed and been concerned by this... im 24 and some of my mates are in this category.. seems we cant even go for a pint without some of them spending more time on their phones than actually having a laugh with eachother in person! haha
    What did we do before phones and the computer.....things took a little longer.... and folks may miss making a few quid SHOCK HORROR !!

oh and there were less MR/SAR call outs because people were more prepared to get themselves out of trouble than plonking down and dialling 999 for the big yellow budgie......its still happening despite education and information tactics !

Never mind come the alpacalypse or llamageddon they will all die and the world will be left for us...It will mean the complete eradication of drum and bass and rap too but I can live with that. RANT OVER !
    Last edited by Silverback; 16-06-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    [

I must admit that in the last five years or so, I have gone from being a complete technophile to an eye rolling Luddite.

I had a brick sized mobile phone when most folks were still limited by the length of the cord on their home or work phone and had a blackberry long before they were widely available. These devices (and the ones I had in between them) did give me a certain cache with the more shallow of friends, who were awed by all things that are shiny. And, I'm not going to deny that I found the devices handy, but as far as being convenient goes, I would say the split was 10% of the convenience made my life easier and 90% of the convenience was for various employers to bug me with work in the evening or at the weekend.

Even before my own business hit the skids, I made a conscious decision to step back from 24/7 connectivity / availability. If I hadn't, there probably would have been a local news story regarding Police bafflement at one of my former clients being found with their phone and their head stuffed up their backside. I needed time just to be on my todd without anyone hassling me. As has been said, you can either live attached to your phone, worrying about missing making a few bob, or you can erm... just live and take your time to enjoy the world around you. I decided I prefer the latter.

But as always, each to their own
    Ansum La

I'm sure we managed without mobiles for business purposes.....its less of a need and more of a convenience...the almost complete reliance of some of the population of this country on technology is quite disturbing...but thats for another discussion on another thread
    It's about having the choice. I choose to use technology because it helps me. My business is online and having a mobile connection to hand helps my business which in turn helps me. Obviously some days I dont use it and chill out aswell and that's my choice.

I do rely on technology for various things (Visiting NB forum for one like we all do) and find absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm sure we all have things we rely on that some other people dont rely on or dont want to rely on. I have been using PC's for 20+ years (Not a expert though), Internet for about 15, Smartphones for about 10 (Long before Android/iOS devices), MP3's long before iTunes was even a twinkle in Steve Jobs eye and I dont regret any of it for a second

However.... I do understand where you're coming from and I think that is why I am really trying to get into bushcraft/outdoors in general etc as it would give me a break so to speak. Technology is an important part of my life but at the same time I really like the complete (well almost complete) opposite, ie going wild-camping and relaxing in outdoors/woodland and try and learn new skills. I only made a conscious decision to go this way late in last year and since then been enjoying researching, and buying equipment, been out a few times which has been a learning curve and plan to get out as much as I can this year, especially once I can drive (I know, should have learned years ago).
    Last edited by ADz; 17-06-2013 at 02:11 AM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"