Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DD Hammocks - setting up

i use gash climbing slings and caribiners
    [

To be honest cave dweller, I think you would struggle to get the answer to your question. Although DD give instructions on how to hang their hammocks, in reality everyone has their own way and is unlikely to follow the instructions. As we all know, instructions only exist as a last resort

But for folks that have not heard of this, and as per DD instructions, the Falconers knot or Mooring Hitch is a one handed knot that would allow you to pull the hammock suspension tight with one hand whilst tying the knot with another. It is a knot I am very familiar with having been a falconer, and is very useful to know. I have shown folk how to do it on meets and even a Bushcraft Instructor that did not have a bloody clue on how to tie his own shoelaces, let alone teach a bushcraft course!

I can't see how this could be used effectively with two ends on each length of webbing. My assumption was that one end was attached to the hammock whilst the other wrapped around the tree, thus giving the full length of webbing to span varying gap distances between trees.

Hope that helps in some way.
    Last edited by jus_young; 10-06-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I can't see how this could be used effectively with two ends on each length of webbing. My assumption was that one end was attached to the hammock whilst the other wrapped around the tree, thus giving the full length of webbing to span varying gap distances between trees.
    I'm glad it isn't just me! I think your idea makes sense actually. I reckon I'll keep experimenting until I find something that works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cave dweller View Post
    I'm glad it isn't just me! I think your idea makes sense actually. I reckon I'll keep experimenting until I find something that works for me.
    That's the fun of hammocks, you can experiment for years and still find different ways.

you could ask 10 different people what set up they use and you would get 10 different answers, I watched the vid below, used that as a base set up then tweaked it until it suited me. as I often say about bushcraft, it's what works for you.... cheers Ian..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78OhtWrIInE
    Last edited by Sar-ian; 12-06-2013 at 02:51 AM.
    non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sar-ian View Post
    you could ask 10 different people what set up they use and you would get 10 different answers, I watched the vid below, used that as a base set up then tweaked it until it suited me. I as often say about bushcraft it's what works for you.... cheers Ian..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78OhtWrIInE
    I second that. This video shows you the basic "out of the box" kind of setup, with simple (but secure) knots. After a few goes in the hammock you'll start to modify it in ways that suit you, then after many nights in a hammock, you will peek at other hammock users' setups, then "borrow" aspects of them, maybe even come up with a totally knew idea for a part of it.

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Have a look at this thread from when the forum first started. It might give you a few ideas.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?100-How-do-you-hang

I still use a single line suspension with an Evenk Hitch at one end and an assisted truckers at the others.

Mike
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Quote Originally Posted by cave dweller View Post
    Well, yes... kind of. I'd just like to understand it really. I'm a complete hammock noob, so I'd like to try a few ways and work out what works best. It's a learning thing!
    This is great for explaining to noobs allllll about hammocks... Did I tell you its all about hammocks?

cheers
    Gareth

You have to love Shug!

Thanks for all the replies folks. Since we're 18 posts in and nobody has said they use either the falconer's or the mooring hitch, I'm going to forget all about those and experiment with some of the other suggestions in the thread. cheers!

I don't know what instructions DD are supplying now because I've had my hammock for a couple of years. Mine came with a length of webbing threaded through each end. The instructions were to take both ends round the back of the tree (one in each direction) and tie in a bow on the front of the tree (underneath the lines from the hammock not over). It sounds a bit iffy but it works fine.
    I did the karabiner mod, where you tie a small loop of webbing through the end of the hammock and clip a karabiner through it, then thread the main tape through the krab and use as before. This helps stop water running down the lines into the hammock.