Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Fire Paste"

We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Not to nudge things back to the original post or anything...but in thinking about this recipe in regard to SHTF: it all depends on how big the "S" and the "F" are.

I was thinking of this purely in terms of quick, down-and-dirty fire-lighter that may come especially useful on one of those 40 degree (F) days when you've fallen in a river or pond, or it's been chucking down buckets all day, and your poncho got whipped away by an errant gust from your cramping hands...who knows? Another tool in the box of fire-kit is probably a GREAT idea for your SHTF days.

(Oh, and Geneva? No, my mother's name is spelled "Genevieve." It means "white wave" and it's as lovely as she is. )

All the best!

Josh

Just had chance to read the rest of this thread and some wise words.spoken. so we are saying the 5gals I've got brewing between the oven and my spare calorgas may not be the best idea?......
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Probably be ok as long as you don't check to see how its doing with a lighted match cos its dark between the oven + the calor gas................

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish111 View Post
    Just had chance to read the rest of this thread and some wise words.spoken. so we are saying the 5gals I've got brewing between the oven and my spare calorgas may not be the best idea?......
    Now that really made me chuckle!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

just had chance to read the rest of this thread and some wise words.spoken. So we are saying the 5gals i've got brewing between the oven and my spare calorgas may not be the best idea?......
    lol

planning on being the 7th lion ?
    [

Well i finely grated my bar of soap and added two cans of lighter fluid. Sealed the top of the jar with clingfilm and then put the lid on good and tight. Gave it a good shake and left it overnight.
    Went down to the garage tonight and gingerly removed the jar outside, careful not to knock it or drop it just in case! Had a quick peek and sure enough it had turned miraculously into a thick gooey paste. Excitedly i donned my welding mask and gauntlets and delicately removed a good teaspoon full of the concoction and went to place it onto the concrete drive. At this point my six year old screamed, "dad what you doing" which made me throw the spoon into the air. Everything suddenly went into slow motion... do i try to catch it and risk missing it or do i throw myself over my child using my body to shield the little chap from the impending blast as the volatile mix hit the floor? My paternal instinct kicked in and i dived onto my bewildered son who now resembles an angry pancake but at least i had saved him. PHEW!
    I ushered him into the house as i could risk any more danger to him and i was about to ignite the C4 lookalike mixture with a swan vesta match! Trust me to buy a faulty batch of matches! Eighteen matches or so into the experiment i realised my error as they were clearly burning well below the ignition temperature of something very combustable. I threw caution to the wind and added another large dollop of mixture before applying my jetflame lighter to it
    BOOM ... the lighter lit, (it's quite a noisy lighter) followed closely by a massive..... bout of disappointment as the stuff couldn't barelyhave been lit with a flame thrower!
    It stank of lighter fluid but it didn't want to burn. Eventually frustration led me to take my calor powered flame gun to it and wooohooooo of it went. Boy it burnt like... well....er.... soap actually! Now i have a large tub of white flameproof goo, an oily patch on the drive, a well dented ego and a son who is at this very moment phoning childline telling them i jumped on him!
    OH WELL! Back to the drawing board!

must have been the Lux good for your skin not combustible soap........

Caution still stands...chemical reactions, matches, naked flames and children....nowt wrong with a little bit of fear it heightens the senses, makes you more careful
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    nowt wrong with a little bit of fear it heightens the senses, makes you more careful
    But has a propensity to ruin your underwear as well!