Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Fire Paste"

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Well said Sappper

Regards
    David
    +1

I would also add, that nothing is without risk. I've had two seal failures on two different models of stoves. One was ignited and one wasn't. On another occasion I've seen a tent go up in flames (fortunately no one was hurt) - I suspect that this was due to cooking in the tent. I have also seen a stove go up in flames in the New forest badly burning its owners.

With this sort of hobby it very easy to burn yourself or cut yourself. Younger forum members could easily cut themselves when attempting to carve a spoon (I hope this does not happen).

As Sapper says, adults can make their own decisions and I feel should also be very very responsible when minors can be influenced.

Am I going to try this? Yes. Will I do it outside with space to run away in every direction? Yes. I know that it is not without risk and neither is crossing the road (in London) when the pedestrian lights are green.

I think that the challenge is, if something is mysterious, youngsters may experiment in an unsafe manner. Over confidence can also have a detrimental effect. It is down to the responsible adults to find the right balance.

On a lighter note, I often wake up on an over-nighter feeling dehydrated and with a slight headache. Strangely though, I am always happy with that risk the night before!

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    +1

I would also add, that nothing is without risk.
    .....spend a lot of my spare time clearing up the aftermath from risk.....I'm sure the cyclist never thought he was going to crash and land in a river 25ft below...the walker turn an ankle on a little bit of rock, the hang glider that lost lift...

or then there was the risk sending my son to school last week which has resulted in us all contacting gastroenteritis......
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    ...or then there was the risk sending my son to school last week which has resulted in us all contacting gastroenteritis......
    Yuck. Hope you are all on the mend now.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Yuck. Hope you are all on the mend now.

M@
    Junior Sapper and I are, Mrs Sapper started with it today......
    [

I wish Mrs Sapper a speedy recovery. Glad to hear the men are better.

M@

home school the kids,less bio-hazards brought into the home! lol
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

There is always something with kids!

Trapper
    Good post! As for the whole survival thing, I'm sure we all learn how to survive should SHTF regardless of what situation we may find ourselves in day to day. I'm sure anyone who has been in a real life survival situation didn't wake up and think "ooh it's get into a life threatening situation week next week, best learn some skills in prep!"

Am I right to assume two of the most common known factors in survival are knowledge and equipment? I'd rather be confident if required I can make something to keep me alive should I need to.

Yes CHILDREN SHOULD BE SUPERVISED but just as I desire to know I can sustain myself I will definitely impart that knowledge to my offspring. Do Inuit children have rubber Ulu's? No, they have razor sharp metal ones that could cut off their nose. Correctly supervised and trained it is merely a tool. It is the responsibility of the experienced to ensure safety is observed.
    failing to prepare = preparing to fail

Pray not for a lighter load, but for a stronger back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrell freddy View Post
    Yes CHILDREN SHOULD BE SUPERVISED but just as I desire to know I can sustain myself I will definitely impart that knowledge to my offspring.
    A couple of my 'relatives' expressed disdain when i started to show my son how to light fire & build shelter...then in 2007 it rained - and filled their houses ! They were even more concerned when I also showed him how to safely use a knife and now shoot various firearms.

They are all tools in his tool kit he does not regard them with envy, he does not desire them for power, he respects them as tools which do a job....a tool which he can now use safely IMHO

Not everyone is as responsible as most folks on here, and sadly public perception often differs massively from ours - which is why it became prudent to make numerous references to supervision and safety - Im sure folks understand.
    [

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    A couple of my 'relatives' expressed disdain when i started to show my son how to light fire & build shelter...then in 2007 it rained - and filled their houses ! They were even more concerned when I also showed him how to safely use a knife and now shoot various firearms.

They are all tools in his tool kit he does not regard them with envy, he does not desire them for power, he respects them as tools which do a job....a tool which he can now use safely IMHO

Not everyone is as responsible as most folks on here, and sadly public perception often differs massively from ours - which is why it became prudent to make numerous references to supervision and safety - Im sure folks understand.
    failing to prepare = preparing to fail

Pray not for a lighter load, but for a stronger back.