Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Fire Paste"

Lightbulb "Fire Paste"

I'm new to this forum, so I thought I'd just share a quick little idea that I often use when fire lighting conditions are not ideal... "Fire Paste"

Fire Paste is a little concoction I learnt how to make from an old SF friend of mine, and can be made using ingredients that you will more than likely have sitting in your bathroom and under the kitchen sink. It a paste, roughly the consistency of tooth paste, that only requires a tiny amount to get a fire going in any weather condition, including (very) heavy rain.

It's basically made from grinding up or shaving a bar of soap until it is nothing more than flakes, no bigger than a finger nail, and leaving it to soak in an airtight container overnight with lighter fluid (petrol can be used, but I've found that lighter fluid is more that potent enough to get it going). By morning your container, assuming that it was truly airtight, will be filled with a white paste. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL with this, as it is extremely flammable.

I find my best use for it is to simply dip a small twig into the pot, reseal, then either drop a spark onto, or use a lighter, to ignite the dipped end of the twig. It will burn very violently and for a very long time, no matter what the weather conditions. You can even use a damp/wet twig. Then simply place it under your kindling to get a red hot fire going in no time. Kind of like making your own matches whilst out in the field.

It's a pretty novel idea, and well worth experimenting with. It's so cheap to make, that it makes no sense not to at least give it a try.

Welcome to the forum Steve and thanks for sharing...judging by the 'handle' would it be safe to assume you're/were an infanteer ?
    [

Hi, and thanks for the Welcome. Yeah, I was reserves but I've had discharge due to medical reasons. Hopefully in the future I'll be fit enough to return, or maybe even go regular. Cheers.

Hi Steve and welcome to Natural Bushcraft.

Interesting tip, it is certainly something I am going to give a go. It might even save a few embarrassing moments in front of my Scouts.

Make yourself known within the community and introduce yourself here http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...-the-Community!

Hi Steve,

Very interesting idea. I've seen fire pastes commercially sold in pouches, but never heard of this easy method to make your own. Really cool! I'll have to try it when I get a chance.

(Incidentally, I mis-read your forum name as "Merican-Steve" and thought for a short time that you were from the US like me...) Hee hee...oops!

Thanks for sharing!

Josh

Hello and

Joel

PS great idea!
    Check out my leatherwork: http://snowleopardleathergoods.jimdo.com
    Thanks,

Joel

will have to give it a go, might try re-filling a lip balm tube, cheers Ian....
    non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....

thats a way the yanks used to make napalm in the field but with diesel and soap.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    thats a way the yanks used to make napalm in the field but with diesel and soap.

Napalm being illegal to manufacture and use as a weapon of course........Its against the Geneva Convention
    [

Great idea - I'll give that a go. Welcome to the forum Steve.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.