Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone made, used nettle dye

Green dyes extracted from plants are not fast, they will fade quickly to a greenish-beige colour. Nettle roots will give a nice yellow. Onion skins make a nice light brown. The other thing is that most plant dyes are difficult to get a strong colour on cotton.

Use nettles,spinach, boil down till you have about 2 litre of strong green dye, soak in solution for about 12 hours. You then need to use a mordant to fix the colour. Alum, vinegar, urea, salt are all mordants but you need to experiment as to which one fixes the colour best. Failing that, dylon hand dye is about 5 quid and will do the job nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Have a browse at this link I had on file.. http://www.tartansauthority.com/tart...itchen-dyeing/
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by wildwanderingwoodsman View Post
    Use nettles,spinach, boil down till you have about 2 litre of strong green dye, soak in solution for about 12 hours. You then need to use a mordant to fix the colour. Alum, vinegar, urea, salt are all mordants but you need to experiment as to which one fixes the colour best. Failing that, dylon hand dye is about 5 quid and will do the job nicely.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk