Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed On Bringing Leather Back To Life.

Advice Needed On Bringing Leather Back To Life.

I picked up a lovely real leather small backpack/rucksack for a fiver at the carboot sale this morning. This is made by a company called Arthur & Aston and has a leather band at the bottom with "Design by studio Astons N AA 8010388" stamped on it. I don't know anything about them but this bag is seriously well made.

The leather is about 2mm thick but very tough and it is finished with a strong, brass hook, clasp and eye closure. The guy I bought it from said his missus had owned it for years and never used it. I don't know if it is aimed at the male/female or unisex market but I don't really care as its a cracker.

Does anybody know anything about these rucksacks and how do I begin to clean and soften it up a bit as at the moment its like strong, tough cardboad.

When I find the camera I will post a pick of it.

Cheers Neil.

I have always used Ben Longs leather dressing

http://benlongfalconry.co.uk/index.p...mart&Itemid=26

Softens up leather a treat and keeps it that way.

Try some neatsfoot oil. Or carnauba creme will work better if you have it. Then shoe polish in the bag's shade.

Hope thats useful,

Joel
    Check out my leatherwork: http://snowleopardleathergoods.jimdo.com
    Thanks,

Joel

i cant reccomend Renapur Leather Balsum more highly... i use it on eveything, knife sheathes, boots, saddles, bush hats... had the same pot for about 5 years now and still have alot left.. think its about £12 on amazon.. i got it at a game fair originally and wont use anything else on my leathers. brilliant for water proofing too.. the rain just beads up and rolls off.

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    i cant reccomend Renapur Leather Balsum more highly... i use it on eveything, knife sheathes, boots, saddles, bush hats... had the same pot for about 5 years now and still have alot left.. think its about £12 on amazon.. i got it at a game fair originally and wont use anything else on my leathers. brilliant for water proofing too.. the rain just beads up and rolls off.
    What he said - I buy some at virtually every game/craft fair or event I attend, I use it mainly on motorcycle leathers and boots, It's damn good (smells faintly of Honey/bees wax)
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

it does indeed mate... its brilliant

Thanks for the advice guys. I have seen the stuff on Amazon so I will order some later today.

Neil

An alternative I found is lanolin - buy it from a pharmacy ASDA did about 750 ml or 500g (a tub about 5 times the Renapur one) for £15. It is amazing and waterproofs the leather too. I used it on an old M39 rucksack c1940 ancient dried out leather and now its rich deep colour and soft as butter.

I've got renapur and its good but this is cheaper - does takes longer to be absorbed though.

Sorry for another (confusing) opinion.

Jules

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    You got a bargain there Neil for a fiver. They make superb designer bags for both Male & Female. Renapur Leather Balsum does have a faint Honey/bees wax whiff, try a little on an area see what effect it has, if your ok with that, then treat the sack completely.
    Regards
    David

On the advice of the stable girls at work, I use Ko-Cho-line on my bike leathers and anything else leather that I have. They use it on all the saddles and wot not. I get it from the local saddlers but you can get it online, from equine suppliers or from farm suppliers like Farmway or Sam Turners. Great stuff, really rejuvinates my old leathers and weatherproofs them a treat. As a testament to it, I rode my bike to work every day throughout the winter, including through the floods, the mad rain and the snow and I was always dry when I got to work and got home! It's about six or seven quid a tin and it lasts for ages!