Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gelert Chinook Tent

Gelert Chinook Tent

I am looking at a new tent for occasional use (15 times or so a year) and am interested in these. I have been using either a Gelert Solo (a wee bit small with me at 6 foot 2") and a polish lavvu - ponchos. My need is for something a little bigger than the solo and more secure than the lavvu. Anybody used or own one of the chinooks which seems to fit the bill.Got to fit on my motorbike with a dossbag and some cooking stuff is all.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Is this for solo camping? If yes then I would look at the Zephyros 1 (non-2013 if you want cheaper version). You should be able to get one for £70-99 now new version is out.

I too have the Gelert Solo but after allot of research I opted for the Z1 because it was basically same design as its expensive brother (Made by same parent company) the Competition Laser. Its a great lightweight tent that has more room then the solo and a vestibule area and plus it all goes up in one so if its raining inside stays dry.

You may want to get some better v-pegs though as the ones that come with it are rubbish (They show different ones in video), I got some titanium Aplkit ones for about 12 quid. Other then that its a great tend and has great reviews.

Last edited by Adam Savage; 13-12-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

I've looked at these before..

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF101.html

The vango banshee is quite popular too
    Last edited by suggy; 04-06-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suggy View Post
    I've looked at these before..

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF101.html

The vango banshee is quite popular too

Me too, Been thinking about getting one (Saw them other thread) once they're released if I haven't converted to a hammock/tarp setup
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Quote Originally Posted by ADz_1983 View Post
    .......... if I haven't converted to a hammock/tarp setup
    Go on! Do it!
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Go on! Do it!
    Really tempted to grab a DD Travel Hammock/3x3 tarp. Just not sure on Olive/Coyote yet though

Khyam Biker tent is great for motorbikes, short pole length permanently installed to tent, quick erection and roomy, I have two khyams and they are excellent,

Take a look Specs - http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=335 erection demo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfjWkpnM4c

Rider recommended
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ADz_1983 View Post
    Really tempted to grab a DD Travel Hammock/3x3 tarp. Just not sure on Olive/Coyote yet though

Brown......its the new green
    [

Never used the Chinook I'm afraid so can't help there. Don't go anywhere near the banshee as you are too tall! And whilst the Zephhyros is a great tent (I now have one) the cost differences are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post

Never used the Chinook I'm afraid so can't help there. Don't go anywhere near the banshee as you are too tall! And whilst the Zephhyros is a great tent (I now have one) the cost differences are huge.
    Compared to what bud? I picked up my Z1 (non-2013) for £99 brand new so should find them cheaper about now since new version is out. I think £99 for the Z1 is a bargain. Only 1.5kg, 1 pole design, erects in one, quick and simple to put up, great quality build!
    Last edited by ADz; 04-06-2013 at 11:19 PM.