Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Solstice

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    My understanding of this summer concept is that is an annual British ritual, performed once a year, on different dates each year, between May and September. Excitable young children run around laughing, pointing at the sky and asking their parents, who tradition dictates are grumpy and dressed in winter clothes, what the big yellow ball in the sky is.

It usually rains before said parents can complete their answer.

If all goes to plan, I'll be doing an overnighter near St Buryan on the 20th, getting up before dawn (this is the part of the plan that is most problematic) then heading up to Boscawen-Un for sunrise on the solstice.

Could be fun
    [

I'm going to try and get down there, not exactly sure what I will be doing just yet. Got to talk the boss into going!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Err, it is the start of summer in the northern hemisphere.

Martin
    I'm aware of that Martin, I was born and lived there for the first twenty one years of my life, but unless I missed a trick Stamp is refering to 21/June which is Summer Solstice (Mid Summer) and I stick with my story the henge was built to celebrate Mid winter, but hey if people want to get naked, smoke drink and dance,who am I to stand in their way!

Quote Originally Posted by Proventurer View Post
    21/June which is Summer Solstice (Mid Summer) and I stick with my story the henge was built to celebrate Mid winter, but hey if people want to get naked, smoke drink and dance,who am I to stand in their way!
    There have been some very interesting researches in recent years regarding the history of Stonehenge and its relevance to the solstices not to mention its origins. If I can find the links I will stick them up.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

I daren't burn a sunwheel around these parts I shall head off up the highest hill i think and await the dawn
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    I daren't burn a sunwheel around these parts I shall head off up the highest hill i think and await the dawn
    That's a shame but the sunrise itself, especially when considered from the spiritual point of view is more than special.

Hail Sunna!
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish111 View Post
    Hail Sunna!
    [

Bugger........

I can't get any time off work so will have to miss it for another year or wait for the winter solstice...

I know where you are coming from, I'm working on the Solstice too and in an ideal world I'd have the day off. But as I'm doing an early on the Thursday and a late on the Friday, I'm planning to hike over to Boscawen - Un on the Thursday afternoon, camp, get me head down early, then get up about 4am, pack up, head to the standing stones, enjoy the sunrise, which down here is just after 5am, chill out for a bit, then hike back.

I'm giving myself four hours to do a walk I know I can do in two and a half, which still leaves me an hour to play with to get a shower and eat before heading to work for ten hours.

Going to be a long day, but hopefully well worth it
    Ansum La

All weather dependant fella, hoping for a clear night/morning... I to will be at work thursday night/friday morning, so depending where abouts in the country I find myself, I may just park up with a brew and a shortbread............ATB Ian...
    non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....