Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Solstice

Summer Solstice

Anyine doing anything for the solstice on the 21st of the month?

I fancy going down to Stone Henge as its not that far, I've never been before and I guess any campsite will be fully booked by now.

Anyone going or have any ideas of what to do?

i am up for it mate,where to meet? mine?
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Birthday celebrations here, my youngest Tyrsson was born on the summer solstice and my eldest on the winter solstice (21st Dec for anyone who didn't know)

Also we will be holding our Blot and burning a sunwheel for the solstice too. Name:  sunwheel.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  7.2 KB
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish111 View Post
    Birthday celebrations here, my youngest Tyrsson was born on the summer solstice and my eldest on the winter solstice (21st Dec for anyone who didn't know)

Also we will be holding our Blot and burning a sunwheel for the solstice too. Name:  sunwheel.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  7.2 KB

[

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
    Anyine doing anything for the solstice on the 21st of the month?

I fancy going down to Stone Henge as its not that far, I've never been before and I guess any campsite will be fully booked by now.

Anyone going or have any ideas of what to do?
    Being out here in SA, I envy you the opportunities you have in the UK at mid summer, but aren't you six months too early to visit the Henge?
    It's my under standing that the premier alignment of the stones are set to celibrate the winter equinox (ie. end of winter start of summer). I imagine the ancestors were only too glad of a sign that signalled rebirth and a warm up to boot!
    Now thousands of hippy (Druid Wan'abees) prance around celebrating (everything going downhill) present weather in the UK notwithstanding!
    I think you must link up with Fish and head for one of his magic spots and work on your own celebrations!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proventurer View Post
    Being out here in SA, I envy you the opportunities you have in the UK at mid summer, but aren't you six months too early to visit the Henge?
    It's my under standing that the premier alignment of the stones are set to celibrate the winter equinox (ie. end of winter start of summer). I imagine the ancestors were only too glad of a sign that signalled rebirth and a warm up to boot!
    Now thousands of hippy (Druid Wan'abees) prance around celebrating (everything going downhill) present weather in the UK notwithstanding!
    I think you must link up with Fish and head for one of his magic spots and work on your own celebrations!
    Err, it is the start of summer in the northern hemisphere.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

"Summer" !! ...can someone explain the concept of this, as I seem to have forgotton what it is
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    "Summer" !! ...can someone explain the concept of this, as I seem to have forgotton what it is
    My understanding of this summer concept is that is an annual British ritual, performed once a year, on different dates each year, between May and September. Excitable young children run around laughing, pointing at the sky and asking their parents, who tradition dictates are grumpy and dressed in winter clothes, what the big yellow ball in the sky is.

It usually rains before said parents can complete their answer.

If all goes to plan, I'll be doing an overnighter near St Buryan on the 20th, getting up before dawn (this is the part of the plan that is most problematic) then heading up to Boscawen-Un for sunrise on the solstice.

Could be fun
    Ansum La

* LIFE IS GOOD *

So whose going then?
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.