Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to make fire??

Where to make fire??

Hi

Does anyone know where you are allowed to light campfires? Are there any particular places?

I'm in east Yorkshire.

What would happen if you lit a fire without permission? (would never do it just curious)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    What would happen if you lit a fire without permission? (would never do it just curious)
    You burn thousands of acres of woodland or moorland like happens here every year, kill thousands of insects, animals and birds, wipe out someones livelihood, or even worse...kill someone.....and find yourself in jail...worse case scenario of course !!! You 'should' always seek the landowner for permission, but that isnt always possible. At certain times of year fires are prohibited by law.

You could always take a firebowl or small firepit or light one in a considerate place like on a stony/rocky river bank, avoid fires on peat soil as the earth can actually catch fire and smoulder for months
    [

So what is the actual law on fires then?

I am a lot more careful than allowing that to happen and would never leave a fire unattended.

Has anyone ever got permission from woodland trust or anyone like that?

Wise words from Sapper,only thing I would add is if in doubt don't. Paul

Basically you cannot light a fire on private land without the landowners permission....Just about all right to roam land is privately owned, hence you cant light a fire or stay overnight. Its different in Scotland of course.

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/a...x#.UaUFIdiPx0x
    Last edited by Silverback; 28-05-2013 at 07:32 PM.
    [

Thanks guys - guess any camping would be trespass.

Where do you guys practise your bushcraft then? Is there anyway of finding places or getting permission?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    Thanks guys - guess any camping would be trespass.

Where do you guys practise your bushcraft then? Is there anyway of finding places or getting permission?
    In at dusk, leave at dawn..leave no trace. I do have access to various privately owned woodland though. The Northern Soul meets are always on organised camps like scout property or on friends land..and I have 8.5 acres of my own
    [

Wow I want 8.5 acres

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Chris, Have you seen this website?...http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=4

Organised Bushcraft groups usually have somewhere that they have arranged with the landowner, to have fires.

Look out for campsites which allow you to have a fire like http://www.bisonfarm.co.uk/ there are rare...

I have access to a private estate, total 100 hectares! Only because I work with a bushcraft school, its hard to locate a land owner.

I would say, avoid forestry commision plantations and any woodland that is popular with visitors. Find a wood off the beaten track and settle in like sapper says, evening and an early start. You can get into the woods earlier but keep your kit in your bag and light the fire later on.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers Stan