Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Camping spots in Yorkshire

Alone in the Wilderness

Wild Camping spots in Yorkshire

Hello All,

I've spent most of my childhood having family holidays in the Lakes or the Dales but now I want to move away from the luxury of toilet blocks and sharing fields with everyone else. I just wondered if anyone could share a spot or 2 where they have wild camped before around the Yorkshire area. I live just south of York, so anywhere in the Dales or North Yorkshire Moors would be a good place to start. I really fancy Scotland, but wanted to get a couple of practice runs in first before heading up there. I've trawled Google/OS maps but wondered if anyone could share a few places where they have had no interruptions/complaints?

Any pointers are much appreciated.

Cheers,
    John

Welcome to the forum John
    [

Hello and ,

Joel
    Check out my leatherwork: http://snowleopardleathergoods.jimdo.com
    Thanks,

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by estin1981 View Post
    Hello All,

I've spent most of my childhood having family holidays in the Lakes or the Dales but now I want to move away from the luxury of toilet blocks and sharing fields with everyone else. I just wondered if anyone could share a spot or 2 where they have wild camped before around the Yorkshire area. I live just south of York, so anywhere in the Dales or North Yorkshire Moors would be a good place to start. I really fancy Scotland, but wanted to get a couple of practice runs in first before heading up there. I've trawled Google/OS maps but wondered if anyone could share a few places where they have had no interruptions/complaints?

Any pointers are much appreciated.

Cheers,
    John

On my first/only solo outing I hopped a train up to Horton In Ribblesdale and pitched up in a field on side of pennie way trail. My intentions were to hike up to hull-pot and penyghent but failed misrebly because of how much stuff I had crambed into my 80ltr bag (Majority of which I didnt use/need).
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

A warm from North Wales.
    Cheers Bri
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

Alone in the Wilderness
    Hello to All that have replied! Another little thing that is praying on my mind is abandoning my car for a day or 2. What does everyone else do with their cars? I've often thought about just dumping it in a side road (obviously not blocking anyone) but dread the thought of returning to an empty space?

Hello to All that have replied! Another little thing that is praying on my mind is abandoning my car for a day or 2. What does everyone else do with their cars? I've often thought about just dumping it in a side road (obviously not blocking anyone) but dread the thought of returning to an empty space?
    Immobilize the car in some way like a wheel clamp or two?
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

I dont leave my van anywhere insecure, far too much valuable stuff in it. If i do have to leave it, it gets emptied. These days immobilising your motor isnt a guarantee to it not being nicked and there are folks out there that would trash it anywhat just for shits and giggles, it boils down to a basic lack of respect for people and property

BTW you need to pop over to the intro thread as per the forum policy
    [

hi mate, do you know where ripon is? thats where im from... i know lots of places around there for wild camping - but i only live there over winter months... if you want to venture as far as the lakes thats where i am now.. more than welcome to come along on afew trips when i get my arse in to gear and go myself that is!

Fáilte go dtí an bpobal bushcraft, John
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin