Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: SURVIVAL - An acronym that will help you stay alive.

SURVIVAL:

S - Size Up the Situation:
    U - Use All Your Senses & Undo Haste Makes Waste
    R - Remember Where You Are:
    V - Vanquish Fear and Panic:
    I - Improvise and Improve:
    V – Value Living:
    A – Act Like the Natives:
    L – Live by Your Wits and Learn Basic Skills:

I think thats what Andy said......could you fill in the gaps Andy ?
    [

Tramp
    Quote Originally Posted by JulesC View Post
    Andy, Shame that the pressure forced you to take it down. I've watched a few YouTube videos and while some have been less helpful I cannot think of many that have been so dire that I don't get either a different view I hadn't considered or an example of how not to do something or why you should do it a certain way.

I've skulked around on this forum for a while and find that its smaller but more friendly than other forums, the comments you received seem to support it.

Stick with it, your way is right for you and any tosser can hide behind their mouse and criticise, never going further a field than their local McD! I came to the conclusion that they want to do something to be noticed and the easiest way is to damage, effectively vandals. Its hard but ignore them and paddle your own canoe!

Good luck.

Jules

BY the way what was your acronym? I'm a Scout Leader and they're always useful to embed them in teen age minds!
    Hi Jules, thank you for the kind words.

NB is by far my favourite forum though I rarely post.

I will probably remake the video and edit it at some point in the future.

Here is the acronym though, hope it is of use to you...

S - Size up the situation
    U - Undue Haste makes waste
    R - Remember where you are
    V - Vanquish fear and panic
    I - Improvise
    V - Value living
    A - Act like the natives
    L - Live by your wits

In a little detail, firstly sizing up the situation by looking for any injuries you may have and if you are in a group whether others are injured. This is also the time to do an equipment check and know what you have available to you. Secondly, you must remember to remain calm and to take time to make decisions - rushing will severely diminish your capability to make the right or rational decisions to aid in your situation. It is important that there is a confident and competent leader if you are in a group, but at the same time, all members are allowed to have a say and suggest ideas. Thirdly, you must consider your location and take into account whether this will have an effect on your situation. This is particularly true if you either happen to be in an area that is hard for search and rescue to be conducted or if you personally or if a member of your group (if you are in one) has an injury that limits mobility as this may mean they cannot traverse terrain. This is also the time if you have a map to try and pinpoint your location and if you get it and communication is possible then try to relay it to rescue teams. The next point is to ensure you eliminate any fear or anxiety you have again, if you are in a group keep an eye on others if they show signs of either two. After this has been ensured, you should make an attempt to improvise by knowing what you have and what you need but don't have. For the latter, try to find natural alternatives. Remember murphy's rule of combat #7 - if it looks stupid but it works, then it isn't stupid. Next, you should strive to keep yourself positively motivated and to value life. Losing morale will only worsen your situation. If you are in a group then ensure everyones spirits are kept high. After this you should try to act like the natives, meaning looking for natural materials to aid you and having respect for all point things, only taking what you need from around you. Finally, you must remember to live by your wits, listening both to your brain and your gut, taking risks only when they will significantly aid your survival or that of your group (if you are in one).

The paragraph above is just more detailed breakdown of the acronym. I thought it would benefit you if I added it though.

If you need anything else then please message me, I am always happy to help!

Take care,

Andy

Tramp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    SURVIVAL:

S - Size Up the Situation:
    U - Use All Your Senses & Undo Haste Makes Waste
    R - Remember Where You Are:
    V - Vanquish Fear and Panic:
    I - Improvise and Improve:
    V – Value Living:
    A – Act Like the Natives:
    L – Live by Your Wits and Learn Basic Skills:

I think thats what Andy said......could you fill in the gaps Andy ?
    Cheers mate, didn't see this as I typed the response for Jules.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Sherwood View Post
    Cheers mate, didn't see this as I typed the response for Jules.
    yes mate but you filled in the gaps...there was additional info...and i didt read above your post either oops !
    [

Thanks both, as I said deffo one of the friendliest fora (??) forums on the net.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    better to try and maybe fail than not bother and sit in judgement....

I use the acronym STOP to my students Stop, Orientate, Think, Plan
    Should that be Stop, Think, Orientate and Plan.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.