Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which type of rucksack/backpack do you prefer and why?

Alone in the Wilderness
    I have a mills 25l daypack and have just got an Austrian 45l rucksack with frame. It's so comfortable andbeing surplus with leather trim it looks great too. Ok it's not technical material.but it's made of canvas, it's built to last. No weight on shoulders at all.

welcome to the forum bearmills.....please pop over to the introduction thread and say hi to the members...whilst there you may wish to take a look at the forum guidelines
    [

Karrimor 75ltr for long trips and 35ltr for day trips plus also have old canvas bundeswehr rucksack and a small blue thing made in DDR , the last two only get used when in the mood

just got my hands on a replacement Cyclops Roc...somehow i reckon it will see lots and lots of use
    [

I have an army surplus 100 ltr Bergen with 2x10 ltr side pouches and a 5 ltr front pouch ( i think it is ) got it from a mate but on reflection I think it's a tad oversized lol, you can get a LOT of gear in there, too much.

Trapper
    I prefer a small sack with lots of straps on the outside. The one thing that really bugs me is when you put your sleeping bag into any bag, you lose most of your storage capacity straight away. So I keep my sleeping bag strapped to the outside wrapped up in an old waterproof bivi bag. I also have the matt rolled and strapped up to the outside. Now with that on the outside , I have plenty of room for everything else on the inside and only need a small nordic ex-army sack. Probably about 35-40ltrs. Cost me a tenner from Denbigh army surplus.

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    I have an army surplus 100 ltr Bergen with 2x10 ltr side pouches and a 5 ltr front pouch ( i think it is ) got it from a mate but on reflection I think it's a tad oversized lol, you can get a LOT of gear in there, too much.

lol, Yeah I always tend to fill my bag and even a 40ltr gets quite heavy once finished so I would hate to try and imagine how heavy a 120ltr ag would feel on me. I keep telling myself next time cut kit down but then still end up cramming it in. I just got myself a Snugpak RocketPak and will be trying it out over weekend so will see if I can get my kit down to reasonable size/weight

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    I prefer a small sack with lots of straps on the outside. The one thing that really bugs me is when you put your sleeping bag into any bag, you lose most of your storage capacity straight away. So I keep my sleeping bag strapped to the outside wrapped up in an old waterproof bivi bag. I also have the matt rolled and strapped up to the outside. Now with that on the outside , I have plenty of room for everything else on the inside and only need a small nordic ex-army sack. Probably about 35-40ltrs. Cost me a tenner from Denbigh army surplus.
    That's the main reason why I decided to invest in a down sleeping bag as they weight and pack down a quarter of the same rated synthetic. I have the Xero 350, Although recently I have been eying up some Snugpak Elites, probably a 3 or 4 as they pack down decent by the looks of things and I prefer the color. I dont really need a winter bag more then -5 as I prefer modular approach so can wear my softies in bag and not have to jump out of really warm bag in morning with hardly anything on into cold.

really great reviews here, thanks all been looking at surplus bags 80ltr + after reading some of the reviews and opinions of the others i will be trying before i buy, what i was looking to do was get all my gear for a week long trip at max in one bag and be able to do at least 30km a day with it, with out it killing me off, material is not an issue as would be grabbing some liners or dry bags anyway, as for weight im unsure of what an 80ltr can carry but at most ill be up to about 25kg to 50kg

my currant bag i use for everything is a Dakine 25ltr cycling pack with a 2ltr water bladder, this is ok for a long day trip but is not really designed for walking with and kills my shoulders off pretty quick after 10 miles or so, and when the bladder is filled good luck getting 25ltrs of kit in it and vice-a-verse, i can cram about 10-15kg into and onto it and its straps but its pushing the bags boundaries massively

cheers

Madz