Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What cooking set-up do you currently use?

Quote Originally Posted by butchthedog View Post
    What diameter rod have you used and what length did you make it?
    I've just started making a 'tester' one at work but its 15mm bar and a little to short but it will do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Mac View Post
    I love a meths stove. Great back-up to the camp fire. I've a couple of set ups depending on what I'm looking to cook.

Honey Stove with Trangia burner.

or good old small sticks

Crusader with a DIY 'Monkeyboy' burner.

Gas has its place, but I only tend to use it with my hill walking set-up. Primus Etapower 1.2l and a Firemaple stove and windshield.

And my favourite

That's just what I was after Mac.
    Which do you prefer, the honey stove, or the Crusader with a DIY 'Monkeyboy' burner.

Also have you made your pot stand with two sticks with a V at the top and just a straight stick across? What did you use to hang your pot from?

Cheers Dave
    Last edited by Jefferson; 21-05-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added more questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    That's just what I was after Mac.
    Which do you prefer, the honey stove, or the Crusader with a DIY 'Monkeyboy' burner.
    Cheers Dave
    Depends on the situation I guess. I tend to use the crusader set on day walks as its great for a quick brew but it burns out after about 10mins (just enough to bring the crusader to boil).

The Honey and Trangia fit nicely into my billy (Tatonka 1.6l) along with a plastic Kuksa, spoon, fuel bottle and some 3in1 satchets. So its heavier but I can cook over the campfire with the billy or on the honey and use the trangia burner for brews/MRE.

What diameter rod have you used and what length did you make it?
    I've just started making a 'tester' one at work but its 15mm bar and a little to short but it will do for now.
    Made it from Road Pins, had to straighten them out first with some heat and then re-form the 'eye ends'. Made the ring which holds the legs, formed that hot around a two inch steel tube. the chain is what I had lying about it's the same stuff that's used on industrial roller shutter doors. The legs measure 55 inches. Hope this helps,,,, it's heavy mind, I had it with me at Lastingham I have a circular hotplate that I made to fit it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by butchthedog View Post
    Made it from Road Pins, had to straighten them out first with some heat and then re-form the 'eye ends'. Made the ring which holds the legs, formed that hot around a two inch steel tube. the chain is what I had lying about it's the same stuff that's used on industrial roller shutter doors. The legs measure 55 inches. Hope this helps,,,, it's heavy mind, I had it with me at Lastingham I have a circular hotplate that I made to fit it as well.
    Ah I did see it. Yeah that does help thanks. I've got a slightly different way that I'm going to hold the legs and the chain.. But think I might have to get hold of some of them road pins.
    Thanks again!
    Cheers Dave

Thanks Mac!

I always use the fire for cooking unless on a trek when Im not spending a lot of time in one place, then I get out the pocket rocket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cooking.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	8603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000176.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	8604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000181.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	8605

Big open fire setup is road pin tripod with potjie curry or stew on the go, maybe some biscuit or bannock in the skillet, single man brew up is coke can meths stove and 44 pattern steel mug,. My msr whisperlight doesnt get much use anymore as its too much 'all or nothing' for proper cooking.

To cook:

Crusader cook set normally used on an open fire
    Pathfinder bottle and cup normally used on Emberlit stove or Evernew meths burner
    MSR Titan kettle used on an Emberlit stove or meths burner
    MSR Seagull pot used on Emberlit stove or open fire

Stove
    Emberlit woodburning stove in stainless or titanium
    Evernew stove and trivet

Or I use an open fire
    My Blog - The Outdoorist - http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/

Ah I did see it. Yeah that does help thanks. I've got a slightly different way that I'm going to hold the legs and the chain.. But think I might have to get hold of some of them road pins.
    Thanks again!
    Cheers Dave
    I'm sure Ben Casey from this parish got some road pins for two quid each new from a builders merchant, so not dear.