Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What cooking set-up do you currently use?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    But I want to also come up with a couple of alternative options:
    Super light weight option
    For that criteria, consider a homemade Meths stove,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burner 1.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	8949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burner 1b.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	8950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burner 2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	8951
    a cheap ally pot, and a windshield made from a turkey roasting tray. Pot grip from Go-outdoors or a piece of microfibre cleaning cloth from the car section of Poundland. Cut it to suit you, a piece the size of an envolope does fine, plus you can clean your pan with it or wipe yer tarp down before packing away, wash yer pits, use as a drip line on yer hammock suspension..... ( not at the same time like )

Name:	IMGP2348.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	8948
    Last edited by suggy; 11-06-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suggy View Post
    For that criteria, consider a homemade Meths stove,

Name:	burner 1.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	8949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burner 1b.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	8950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burner 2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	8951
    a cheap ally pot, and a windshield made from a turkey roasting tray. Pot grip from Go-outdoors or a piece of microfibre cleaning cloth from the car section of Poundland. Cut it to suit you, a piece the size of an envolope does fine, plus you can clean your pan with it or wipe yer tarp down before packing away, wash yer pits, use as a drip line on yer hammock suspension..... ( not at the same time like )

Name:	IMGP2348.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	8948

got to agree with this...set of army mess tins, pot stand and my home made meths stove, my lightweight option...I may add my kettle adds little weight, boils water quicker...saves on fuel
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    ..I may add my kettle adds little weight, boils water quicker...saves on fuel
    Yep, Kettle for a brew saves fuel,

Here's my vomit, (big soup) I left in a hurry that morning, lol, sorta cancels out light weight

Name:	IMGP2349.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	8952

Quote Originally Posted by butchthedog View Post
    Made it from Road Pins, had to straighten them out first with some heat and then re-form the 'eye ends'. Made the ring which holds the legs, formed that hot around a two inch steel tube. the chain is what I had lying about it's the same stuff that's used on industrial roller shutter doors. The legs measure 55 inches. Hope this helps,,,, it's heavy mind, I had it with me at Lastingham I have a circular hotplate that I made to fit it as well.
    Top job of the tripod butch. (sorry for hijacking the threat Jefferson ). Looks really well made/finished

I use various method of cooking, depending on location, duration, size of group, and distance travelled to get there.
    Have to say for all my solo trips I like to use one of my gas stoves, and sometimes my Trangia. Gas is great for controlling temperatures, alcohol stoves are nice and quiet, as well as being super simple to use, but if possible I like to use an open fire. Cooking with embers is very relaxing, and a fire can be built to suit the cooking of most dishes

All the best

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

if possible I like to use an open fire. Cooking with embers is very relaxing, and a fire can be built to suit the cooking of most dishes

All the best

Adam[/QUOTE]

I much prefer this method as long as there is no hurry which there is usually not ''for me anyway''

Thank you for your kind words on the tripod Adam.