Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Foldable shovel

Quote Originally Posted by tagnut69 View Post
    Pound land has folding stainless trowels for £1, or for bigger jobs army surplus entrenching tools can be had for around £5-10 on the bay
    +1

if i think ill need one when out and about i take a normal small garden trowel... iv also taken a smallish shovel head, ground the 'blade' to a slightly more spiked end for penitration and made a shorter handle... works well on larger jobs, but very rarely needed.

For toilet work I have a cheap plastic garden trowel, the great thing is that the little handle has a removable cap (great for loo roll)
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger004 View Post
    For toilet work I have a cheap plastic garden trowel, the great thing is that the little handle has a removable cap (great for loo roll)
    I like that idea...I dont take a shovel or trowel as a standard item a digging stick suffices...just being a tight yorkshireman i feel i need to get the value for money out of my folding shovel
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Twangarang82 View Post
    Wait I think I just found the ultimate shovel! http://youtu.be/6ryyAenmzHM it's like a multitool version!

The army surplus idea sounds good though. I can use a stick as a backup I suppose, it will save weight. but it makes the it easier having the right tool for the job.
    blimey the only thing it can't do, is make the tea !!!!

I am always a little cautious about items that are marketed as 'multi functional'

However, it does appear to be quite rugged !
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

Tribal Elder
    folding stainless steel trowel works for me!!!
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

I have a ex dutch army folding shovel which fits just great into the pide pocket on my sabre 75 I do find plenty of uses for it from digging latrines to digging water holes , burying caches of food for long trips to clearing snow for my winter basha and even used it to put my stove on in winter my old shovel I even fryed bacon on it
    Last edited by Silverback; 05-08-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: bad language

Trapper
    A folding shovel, you mean an entrenching tool. Are you expecting an artillery bombardment?

Why anyone would need anything more than a digging stick is beyond me. Are you going to dig a root cellar under the log cabin you plan on building?

I have an ex british army entrenching tool which I got off an army surplus stall years ago at a steam rally. It doesn't get used that often, but it's a godsend when it does. Really solid steel blade, also has a pick and good solid wooden handle and leather sheath. Worth keeping your eyes open for them, mine rides around in the car all the time and is compact enough when folded to fit in my pack.

Trapper
    @ beermaker

A "pick"! Are you prospecting for gold?

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I would suggest the folding entrenching tool if you really do require such. Can be left open & affixed to the side or
    back of your pack or folded inside the top flap. In the good old days the 58 pattern webbing had a full size shovel that
    fitted between the Bergen & you back used it now & again on exercise but mostly left somewhere out of the way.
    Good luck with your search anyway.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	9750

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    I have used the issued folding shovel when i was serving and only broke 1.