Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What have you learnt today?

Quote Originally Posted by Sar-ian View Post
    I learned that its not money that makes you a rich man..... me and my grand-daughter....
    Attachment 9721
    Something that take nearly a lifetime to achieve, but when you get there, as you now know, it's awesome
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    Something that take nearly a lifetime to achieve, but when you get there, as you now know, it's awesome
    Aint that the truth OG
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

The truth!
    Bushcraft newbie!

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Every day is precious.. Haven't really learned it today, I've known for years, but yesterday evening it was reinforced.
    My mate and I retired within a few months of each other, I turned down jobs at home and abroad, I'd had enough. He was our medic and as it is with medics is a person of a caring nature. He went to work for a big health care organisation and worked hard. Now a good few years later he has reached 'official' retirement age of 65 and told me last week he is now going to switch off and do what I've been doing for the past 14+years, enjoy himself with his new freedom.

When I got back from the wood yesterday evening he 'phoned me to tell me his Mrs has been diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease. There is a long road ahead.
    Every day is precious, make them count.

Trapper
    Every kindness that you bestow on others, never goes unnoticed, no matter how small.
    You may never get repaid by the person who received it, but you will always have the respect of all those who witnessed it.

(The same thing goes for unkindness too , but then you don't get respect !)

Sorry to hear that saxonaxe alzheimers is a bloody awful condition.

Very much true that you should make the most of each day. I was just saying that last night to someone I used to work with who is due for Retirement but is planning to stay another year. He was telling me about his whisky collection, apparently some bottles are worth over £500! My view is either open them and enjoy them for what they are, or sell them and use the money to get something you can enjoy. I used to keep things for"best" like my grandads gold watch, then I had a nasty bike accident a few years ago that could have finished me off. I keep nothing for best now and enjoy everything I have every day
    Last edited by beermaker; 06-08-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: correcting a spelling!

today I learnt that my thumb is NOT tougher than a razor blade. I had to use my SIAS first aid kit (suck it and swear!)

Quote Originally Posted by beermaker View Post
    today I learnt that my thumb is NOT tougher than a razor blade. I had to use my SIAS first aid kit (suck it and swear!)
    Oh I think you already knew that !, I think what you learned is not to put your thumb in that position, lol
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

I do it every time though - you'd think I'd learn! Still, the pop can stove outcome was well worth the blood and cussing!

Quote Originally Posted by beermaker View Post
    I do it every time though - you'd think I'd learn! Still, the pop can stove outcome was well worth the blood and cussing!