Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skills don't oxidise darling, so they can't rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    ...2. Hit by a stray bomb from the Scottish ranges
    Don't need to worry about the Scottish ones, they have their own brand on Dartmoor so excuse is sorted. Like luresalive said, please take a camera so that if it does go wrong we can find out why. I will be crossing the moor soon enough myself so it would be useful knowing where not to step

Cheers guys, yes a camera is a must. My pack is already looking huge and I haven't got food or clothes in it yet so I'm thinking I'll only take 2 lenses 35-85mm and 80-200mm should do me.

I've lived all over Medway JohnnyP, born in Chatham moved to Rainham, then Halstow, Upchurch, Newington, Twydall and lower Gillingham before heading up north (past Watford is practically Norway to a southerner). The best place for me and my mates to knock about was the riverfront (which was ruined by the national trust sticking paths and car parks and resource centers to attract visitors, and generally tidying up all the woods so they didn't look like woods anymore). Until we discovered a disused underground navy base known locally as seven stories, but I think it was called HMS Wildfire in Gillingham That was the best playground in the universe. Then sappers from Brompton welded the doors shut and by that time we'd discovered girls, and other pursuits

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Brody Hooper View Post
    Cheers guys, yes a camera is a must. My pack is already looking huge and I haven't got food or clothes in it yet so I'm thinking I'll only take 2 lenses 35-85mm and 80-200mm should do me.

I've lived all over Medway JohnnyP, born in Chatham moved to Rainham, then Halstow, Upchurch, Newington, Twydall and lower Gillingham before heading up north (past Watford is practically Norway to a southerner). The best place for me and my mates to knock about was the riverfront (which was ruined by the national trust sticking paths and car parks and resource centers to attract visitors, and generally tidying up all the woods so they didn't look like woods anymore). Until we discovered a disused underground navy base known locally as seven stories, but I think it was called HMS Wildfire in Gillingham That was the best playground in the universe. Then sappers from Brompton welded the doors shut and by that time we'd discovered girls, and other pursuits
    I grew up mucking about on n around the Medway too.. I was just upstream from Tonbridge.. Good times

great post buddy, ahve a great trip and dont forget tro give us an update..

Well I packed everything up for my trip last night giving the missus her dining room back. Everything apart from water and camera gear, pulled it it up onto my back, walked to the kitchen and back put it down. It's fine if I only intend to walk 5 miles a day. It's bloody heavy, about 25kg and I've still got the kitchen sink to get in there.

So having pulled loads out that I can do without, it's still too heavy for comfortable walking. The tent comes in at nearly 4kg, so that's getting replaced with a lighter one this week, inflatable mattress has been replaced by a lightweight fleece blanket (that'll do the job right?). A lot of the weight is food, not sure what to do about that though, I guess I could bulk up on simple carbs now, carry half the food and lose some weight during the trip, but honestly that's not an appealing idea. But if it's a choice between a couple of packets of super noodles and my kindle then I'll choose the kindle every time (only luxury I simply must have).

I was reading one of the boards earlier about lightweight vs pack mules, how do some of you guys manage with such heavy packs? Are you all built like houses or do you build a base camp and travel shorter distances from there?

I think I'll be happy if I can my pack down to 15kg, but the problem I'm having now is that every time I pull something out of the pack I think of some other little "essential" that has to replace it, only to pull that out later and repeat lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody Hooper View Post

I was reading one of the boards earlier about lightweight vs pack mules, how do some of you guys manage with such heavy packs? Are you all built like houses or do you build a base camp and travel shorter distances from there?
    Just used to it i suppose...
    [