Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarp pole modification

Tarp pole modification

Tarp Pole mod

After seeing a few different ideas over on hammockforums for adding a pole or two to a tarp in order to create more space in the centre of the tarp, I thought I’d have a go.
    They mainly seemed to be based on using the Warbonnet Superfly tarp to begin with but I wasn’t prepared to potentially wreck my favourite tarp, so I opted to try it out on my Fox Basha.
    The Fox is smaller than a DD 3x3 tarp, which I reckon, would be a better starting point due to them having more attachment points for the ridgeline than the Fox. Plus it would be massive!

Apparently it’s a good mod for winter camping in the snow as the tarp can bear more weight.

The mod consists of..

* A couple of pockets for the ends of the pole. I made mine from some old waterproof trousers. Be sure to make them strong! Double thickness etc.

* An extra internal ridge-line with a prussic to hold the centre of the pole in place.

* A pole like you will find in a dome tent. Mine came from a beach shelter I had in the shed. It needed cutting down to suit the width of the basha. Try not to cut through the elastic shock cord ! You may need to make the pole longer for a DD, it depends on the length of pole you are starting with of course.

It was free to do, the pole only weighs 155g in its custom bag and the mod is removable at any time

I Cant take any credit for the idea but it was fun having a go!

I thought I’d share a few pictures I took of different heights and configurations to give an idea of the possibilities and the space it can create.

Trapper
    thats absolutely crackin fella, good idea and well executed.. will remember this one for when i (eventually) get a tarp+hammock... well played

Thanks for sharing. I must say I did a double take at the thread title. I first thought it said Tad pole Modification.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Nice mod!!

Thanks for sharing,

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Yungen of Bury View Post
    thats absolutely crackin fella, good idea and well executed.. will remember this one for when i (eventually) get a tarp+hammock... well played
    +1....and is this where I think it is ?
    [

Plenty of options there Suggy mate, excellent stuff.

Nice
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Love it
    Ansum La

I've only ever seen the version where trekking poles were used and I think it was the Shug that broke one of his, they are just not up to it.
    This is a far better way to do it as the poles are designed for the stress. Nicely done and great pics too.

Thanks for sharing

Rob.

Love it.
    Nice bit of practical R&D mate!
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace