Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft differences around the world

Quote Originally Posted by Sittingbull View Post
    Where did you spend time in the SADF? You must have seen some beautiful places.
    I did, but too often that was obscured by the unpleasant treatment we had. But it made me a stronger person for it.

I did my basic training in Ladysmith, then transferred to Oudtshorn for junior leadership training (corporal), after which I transferred to Bloemfontein for mechanised infantry training where I became a gunnery and signals instructor. As such, I was shipped out to Uppington to train troops.

I certainly saw a lot more of South Africa than I would have, had I not (a) gone to the army, and (b) taken every opportunity on offer. Case in point: on a field day out visiting a local animal park, I was first to raise my hand when they asked for a volunteer. My reward? Unlike most expected, I did not have some unpleasant job; I got to enter the Cheetahs cage and pet one of them. An awesome moment in my life I shall never forget.

Tribal Elder

along with the weather,terrain and animals suppose our ability to never be that far from a road helps!!!!!
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Welcome aboard from the scottish highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    Welcome aboard from the scottish highlands.
    Sounds like a fantasy place...

Quote Originally Posted by Sittingbull View Post
    I'll say one thing - many people on US forums talk about carrying a handgun into the woods. I've never felt the desire, seems to me to go against the whole point of spending time in nature.
    Hello from Oklahoma. After seeing so much from the UK on hammock camping, that's become my preferred style. We have stunted hardwoods in my region of the state. I'm about 45 miles from the plains. I prefer to
    Camp near the Arkansas border where it's generally greener, the trees taller and the streams clearer.
    We go through extremes about like any other place. -20F up to 117F and drought being common.
    Ticks!! Ticks are a major health concern here. Lime disease, rocky mountain spotted tick feaver and a couple others. Precaution is key. Also we have chiggers.
    Only in the last few years have I started carrying a gun regularly in the woods. I usually carry a singleshot 20ga. Why? Dogs, feral hogs- they destroy so much of the habitst for the native species, possible bears and mountain lions but mainly i carry it due to the pot growers out in the woods now days. It doesn't weigh much.
    I'm a hunter so I'm not opposed to adding some protein to the meal should it be season.
    Being here in the land of the red man, about everyone you meet has Indian heritage and practicing the skills of our forefathers plays into it a bit I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by OKBushcraft View Post
    Hello from Oklahoma. After seeing so much from the UK on hammock camping, that's become my preferred style. We have stunted hardwoods in my region of the state. I'm about 45 miles from the plains. I prefer to
    Camp near the Arkansas border where it's generally greener, the trees taller and the streams clearer.
    We go through extremes about like any other place. -20F up to 117F and drought being common.
    Ticks!! Ticks are a major health concern here. Lime disease, rocky mountain spotted tick feaver and a couple others. Precaution is key. Also we have chiggers.
    Only in the last few years have I started carrying a gun regularly in the woods. I usually carry a singleshot 20ga. Why? Dogs, feral hogs- they destroy so much of the habitst for the native species, possible bears and mountain lions but mainly i carry it due to the pot growers out in the woods now days. It doesn't weigh much.
    I'm a hunter so I'm not opposed to adding some protein to the meal should it be season.
    Being here in the land of the red man, about everyone you meet has Indian heritage and practicing the skills of our forefathers plays into it a bit I assume.
    I'm cool with hunting and would love to see the Midwest some day, just not crazy about people with a hero complex.

welcome to the forum! from the Lake District.... also bear in mind the fauna differences.... you have alot of very dangouras animals to be wary of, depending on your location, bears, wolves, pumas, snakes, cayotes etc ... if we sleep out the worst we get is a flasher....
    Last edited by shepherd; 16-05-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Tramp
    Flora and fauna differences, cultural differences and not at least different legislation....
    I would say Bushcraft around the world is as diverse as the the world it self.

(Yes, I know bushcraft is bushcraft no matter, but from my experience, there is also a huge diversity in what individual persons regards as bushcraft as well... Even if they are in the same country/region...)

What I persieve as bushcraft might not be what others see it as... If that makes sence to anyone...

plus austrila has all the snakes, poisonous insects, dingos, thats before you even mention the bloody heat! haha

Quote Originally Posted by ChristerM View Post
    Flora and fauna differences, cultural differences and not at least different legislation....
    I would say Bushcraft around the world is as diverse as the the world it self.

(Yes, I know bushcraft is bushcraft no matter, but from my experience, there is also a huge diversity in what individual persons regards as bushcraft as well... Even if they are in the same country/region...)

What I persieve as bushcraft might not be what others see it as... If that makes sence to anyone...
    great point