Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben Fogle New Lives in the Wild

I'm like Kernowek Scouser; I only saw the one with the family in Alaska.

I like Ben Fogle - he's a nice presenter and strikes me as a very kind and gentle person. But... (you knew that was coming) the episode I watched had all the hallmarks of the things I hate about TV. There was no substance to the programme; simply an interview with people who live wild (or partly wild). I'd like to see something that covers how they grow things, what they eat, where they go, how they live day to day and actually see the plants they eat or use rather than just hear about these things.

I must say the way they cut the tree down worried me a little. When the rope broke on the winch he had, I expected someone to get seriously hurt, and the chap looked like a total plonker standing wondering what the heck had happened. Then his decision to take is small child in the pack canoe in such terrible conditions made me think he's either playing it for the cameras, or trying to cull his own family, or he's just completely bonkers.

Although I'm recording the series, I'll only give it one more watching if it's like that one because I'm not learning anything from it; I'm just jealous. I just tune into a Paul Hemann video of Alaska if I want to dream about living out there, like this one:

I know that sounds very negative and I'm sorry for that but I'm just expressing my frustration at how mainstream TV has become that it has to try appeal to everyone, even people not in the least interested in the wilderness part of this programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    ...I know that sounds very negative and I'm sorry for that but I'm just expressing my frustration at how mainstream TV has become that it has to try appeal to everyone, even people not in the least interested in the wilderness part of this programme.

Not especially impressed until the NZ episode. Holy moly!! Incredible!
    Last edited by Ichneumon; 08-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Im really enjoying the show, i agree that i could be learning more but its easy viewing and showing great examples of living off the grid which is my overall dream. I would like to know who Ben Fogle's agent is... he presents everything

saw the western desert episode last night... preppers took abit of a hammering...

i have managed to catch a few of these shows while flicking through the channels and just landing on it. have i missed any???
    saw the canada, NZ and the texas episodes. all very enjoyable. as said earlier, the canoe trip was mentally wrong, and his tree felling leaves too much to chance
    it would be nice to see more of the detail of their day to day existence, its a great opportunity lost, but its still much better tv than most of the other rubbish.
    you call that a knife...

great vid above bernie. thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by baitman View Post
    i have managed to catch a few of these shows while flicking through the channels and just landing on it.
    saw the canada, NZ and the texas episodes. all very enjoyable. as said earlier, the canoe trip was mentally wrong, and his tree felling leaves too much to chance
    it would be nice to see more of the detail of their day to day existence, its a great opportunity lost, but its still much better tv than most of the other rubbish.
    +1... thats guys tree felling was very scary, right next to his yurt, which contained his family? :s