Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating Tree Bark

If you have ever had an aspirin you're having the same 'chemical' as is found in willow - salicin - acetylsaliycilic acid... in the 1800's salicin was used to develop aspirin. White willow appears to bring pain relief more slowly than aspirin, but its effects may last longer.
    [

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,

Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    If you have ever had an aspirin you're having the same 'chemical' as is found in willow - salicin - acetylsaliycilic acid... in the 1800's salicin was used to develop aspirin. White willow appears to bring pain relief more slowly than aspirin, but its effects may last longer.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    Has anyone actually tried bark?
    I ate some Jack Pine tree bark this weekend.

It was very chewy and tasted like lumber. With some tree sap on the bark it had that pine fresh taste to it. I preferred the lumber taste.

Next time I'll try it cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    The inner bark of birch can be dried and ground into a flour for making bread. The Betulin within the bark has been known to lower blood pressure. I tend to add it to my woodsman tea (Willow bark , Birch twigs and Pine needles).
    I wouldn't mind trying some of that tea 'just to see what I'm missing out on' Mike.

Great thread
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    The inner bark of birch can be dried and ground into a flour for making bread. The Betulin within the bark has been known to lower blood pressure. I tend to add it to my woodsman tea (Willow bark , Birch twigs and Pine needles).
    Love to try that any how to guides anywhere?