Thread: The 'Portable Tree House' (or oversized hammock UFO thingy)

The 'Portable Tree House' (or oversized hammock UFO thingy)

Came across this one on YouTube whilst looking at something completely different.

We have seen things like this before on the forum but this one almost seems viable if somewhat heavy.

err not sure about this....
    [

Trapper
    He said it would be good in bear country, but bears can climb trees. Think it do well in family camping or used as a make shift base camp on expeditions. Its a novel idea into luxury camping and I think he has found a space in the market, wonder what the price tag would be on this item? but defiantly not for me.
    Last edited by freedom; 22-04-2013 at 10:15 AM.

I would love to see my misses getting into this one! Could you imagine someone wanting to get up during the night for a visit to the loo? Everyone would be well and truly awake by the time you made it to the door!

Quirky, certainly. Practical, I don't know?

If I was offered a go in one, I wouldn't say no, but at a sniff under £885 plus shipping from the states; I'm not going to rush out and buy one.

Thanks for the link fella.
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    Quirky, certainly. Practical, I don't know?

If I was offered a go in one, I wouldn't say no, but at a sniff under £885 plus shipping from the states; I'm not going to rush out and buy one.

Thanks for the link fella.
    £885 is a lot of money to spend on the off chance that there will be enough strong trees to hang it from
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

It is.

And what about say insulation? It could be quite nice if you and a couple of friends found a pleasant spot with suitably spaced and suitably strong trees to hang this up, but what about when there is a chill in the air? Would a thermal mat be suitable for the interior and if one was, would it be sufficient to avoid waking, often, with a frozen backside?

And in the warmer months, if you wanted to keep the side door open, you would have to fashion your own mosi net screen as it does not appear to have one, nor even a vent screen like the base hatch.

On the side door itself, would it be an idea to have a door, with mosi screen, in each side? If you were not hanging high enough to walk under the thing and nature called through the night, would you want to drop through the base hatch and crawl under under the thing to find relief or, if not on the side by the door, disturb whoever was there to get outside. Or does this design lend itself to making the central base hatch an impromptu urinal, long drop toilet and the possibility of being woken in the night by a fellow camper with a poor aim or an overly vocal sphincter or with a cry for help if they misjudge their balance/weight distribution and get stuck with their backside hanging out the base hatch?

Then there is the inside of the thing itself, no pockets for essentials storage which even the most basic tents and hammocks have, no apparent attachment points to hang a lantern, or anything else, from. And as this is meant to be a moveable treehouse, what about cooking in it? With just the single door and base hatch open, you could possibly rig up some kind of contraption to hang out of the base hatch and sit something like a Trangia 25 or 27 on, without burning the whole thing down after passing out from the fumes.

Fair enough, unless you have a little vestibule, you don't cook in a tent and I don't think I've ever seen or heard of anyone cooking in a hammock, so this last niggle may be a tad unreasonable to the designers.

And there are other things that niggles, but I will leave my ramblings here as despite all of the above, I do really like the general idea and principals behind the Tentsile (if not the price) and I take my hat off to the designers for putting their ideas into production.

I'll just wait for them to bring out a MK II... then hope one pops up cheap on eBay
    Last edited by Kernowek Scouser; 23-04-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    Ansum La

It would be like sleeping on a trampoline! Everytime someone moved the other person would be tossed in the air, would be interesting having "snuggles" in it with the wife though...

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
    It would be like sleeping on a trampoline! Everytime someone moved the other person would be tossed in the air, would be interesting having "snuggles" in it with the wife though...
    .... especially if you forgot to zip up the base hatch
    Ansum La

How Much?
    Campfires are best shared with friends.