Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What sleeping bag?

US Modular Sleep System for me (have two now), for most temps the bivy and green bag pack down small (basketball size), and works well, enough room for me. Obviously add in the black intermediate bag and the inner space is reduced a lot (even more if you stuff the sleeping pad inside the bivy), as well as the bulk and weight of the compressed size is increased by double, but that's only really for sub-freezing temps (did that a few weeks back, slept warm!) I love the modularity of it, and the excellent reviews it gets, even if bulky. Just means you can leave the tent at home. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    I have a Snugpack Kestrel...and an Aztec Summit one. The problem with the Snugpack is that Im far too broad of chest and back for it. The Aztec is great wide enough but its down, then again in the depths of winter I use my issued 58 maggot and I always manage to keep it dry so having a down bag isn always too much of an issue
    Have you seen the snugpak expanda panels? They fit any any bag in the softie range and add 50cm across the chest. I git one for my Hawk, kind of makes it into a center zip bag to boot.

oh well try again

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing a new sleeping bag I've had a British army sleeping bag for years and its nice and warm, but it's heavy and takes a massive amount of space. What do you guys use? Any suggestions on what's light and warm and small?

Cheers Dan.
    Will experiment with a fleece sleeping bag in bivi this summer. But have not used it yet. But it packs down quite small.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Mac View Post
    Have you seen the snugpak expanda panels? They fit any any bag in the softie range and add 50cm across the chest. I git one for my Hawk, kind of makes it into a center zip bag to boot.
    Do you know if the expanda panels work with any other make of bag?
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Will experiment with a fleece sleeping bag in bivi this summer. But have not used it yet. But it packs down quite small.
    Interesting, I have a fleece sleeping bag liner, is thin, likely would work well in a bivy. Also have a jungle sleeping bag I received from Ian C two years ago, good compact little bag.

Hobo
    Tennier US Army sleep system. The bad parts, It weighs a bit at 5 kilos and the pack size is not small.(arguably I don't need a tent so it evens itself out) but it keeps me warm and dry.

Slept in one of those in snowdonia in foul weather, fantastic until it was time to get up in the morning,

That's it in the closest black stuff sack, I'd guess at 40-50 litres

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2425.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	8809
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Hobo
    I carry it in a 65 litre rucksack gives me enough space for clothes and other kit. It is bulky though

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger004 View Post
    Slept in one of those in snowdonia in foul weather, fantastic until it was time to get up in the morning,

That's it in the closest black stuff sack, I'd guess at 40-50 litres

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2425.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	8809
    Its a great piece of kit its bulky but not too heavy. Can be found for about £50 on ebay .