Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What sleeping bag?

What sleeping bag?

I'm looking at purchasing a new sleeping bag I've had a British army sleeping bag for years and its nice and warm, but it's heavy and takes a massive amount of space. What do you guys use? Any suggestions on what's light and warm and small?

Cheers Dan.

I have a Snugpack Kestrel...and an Aztec Summit one. The problem with the Snugpack is that Im far too broad of chest and back for it. The Aztec is great wide enough but its down, then again in the depths of winter I use my issued 58 maggot and I always manage to keep it dry so having a down bag isn always too much of an issue
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing a new sleeping bag I've had a British army sleeping bag for years and its nice and warm, but it's heavy and takes a massive amount of space. What do you guys use? Any suggestions on what's light and warm and small?

Cheers Dan.
    I use a Jerven bag in the summer. This summer I've got a fleece liner in it for comfort. But the jerven bag is insanely expensive. And probably a little hard to find in the UK.

In the Winer I use another Norwegian bag, the jan Mayen Isbjørn, rated down to minus 40. It is huge, and weighs 3 kilos, but drag it on a pulk, so no problem. But all of this is of no help for you so I'll shut my gob now :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I use a Jerven bag in the summer. This summer I've got a fleece liner in it for comfort. But the jerven bag is insanely expensive. And probably a little hard to find in the UK.

In the Winer I use another Norwegian bag, the jan Mayen Isbjørn, rated down to minus 40. It is huge, and weighs 3 kilos, but drag it on a pulk, so no problem. But all of this is of no help for you so I'll shut my gob now :-)
    Lol made me laugh though. All input is good input!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    I have a Snugpack Kestrel...and an Aztec Summit one. The problem with the Snugpack is that Im far too broad of chest and back for it. The Aztec is great wide enough but its down, then again in the depths of winter I use my issued 58 maggot and I always manage to keep it dry so having a down bag isn always too much of an issue
    With out being rude what size cheat are you think I'm a 38-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    With out being rude what size cheat are you think I'm a 38-40.
    Err... I was told recenty I have the physique of a silverback gorilla...6'2"... 17st and I have a 48 inch chest...and yes my waist IS smaller than my chest measurement
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Err... I was told recenty I have the physique of a silverback gorilla...6'2"... 17st and I have a 48 inch chest...and yes my waist IS smaller than my chest measurement
    Hehe thanks Sapper I've been looking at the snugpak seems a decent bag should fit in "snugly" 😄

Samuel Hearne
    I have a british army artic sleeping bag, a jungle issue bag and a couple of softy sleeping bags softy 6 and 9 i mainly use the softy 9 in autum/ winter and i also have a poncho liner.

Like Wayne I am rather broad in the chest, but somewhat shorter (if not that much lighter heavy bones, obviously) so a LOT of sleeping bags are just not suitable for someone with my build, limiting comfortable sleeping to the few broad beam bags out there (I also have army Arctic bag which is comfy but massive, the Czech army bed roll (more massive and heavy) for cooler months and the lightweight US 'woobie' poncho liner for warmer months.

But as you are only touching 40 inches, your options are much more abundant.

The only thing limiting your choice is how much you are prepared to pay.
    Ansum La

When I got my US Poncho liner, I loved it so much I bought a second one! Is what I sleep under in summer months, perfectly regulates the heat and is lightweight.