Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Solo camp

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Ye Gods...sounds almost like Connecticut!
    Isn't Connecticut about a days drive from Maine? I thought Maine was mountainous and wild, is it not?

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Yes its still there, and its still owned by someone...The Crown, MOD, Church, Utilities Companies, Private Landowners, Farmers etc take your pick

more info here

https://www.gov.uk/common-land-village-greens
    Thank you for the link Sapper. I was totally misinformed about the English commons.

In Canada a land owner can arrest a person for committing any crime (like trespassing) on his land or pertaining to his land. So if you stand on public land and piss on my land I can arrest you for public urination.

In Canada we have Crown Land administered by the government, Canadians are free to travel on and use this land. Some restrictions may apply, but most Crown land has almost none. Obviously you can't just start clearing the forrest. But so long as you obey the hunting, fishing and trapping regulations you are good to go.

This is some Crown Land in Alberta Canada

You anywhere near Medicine Hat Tommy ?
    [

Trespass in the uk is only a criminal affence under specific circumstances, you can get prosecuted for trepass in a civil case. The police will only attend if damage has accured, assult etc...
    the other exceptions are:
    * Rail Yards
    * Railway Lines
    * Electricity Sub Stations
    * Power Plants
    * Gas Works
    and lets face it, none of us want to camp in these places.

Stamp - if you're challenged again just insist you are called Ashley or Martin. How are you doing accents?
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Go for it, I must say I've been some what "scared" of going alone in case of confrontation, but as long as your not harming the land and if your caught and asked to leave you do it's not to scary. You will probs have a fantastic night!

While I often get a bit miffed about the lack of freedom to responsibly camp on some of the interesting bit of land near to me, a knee exercising stroll along a gentle section of the coast path today, highlighted why that freedom is not likely to materialise any time soon.

Crisp packets, sweet and ice lolly wrappers, plastic bags and a babies nappy ?!? all littered sections of the path. Two path makers had been damaged, one with the distance to info broken off, the other just pushed over, one bench had had what looked like a foot through one of the seat planks, there were fire scars on the heather in three locations and if I had a pound for every time I nearly stepped in dog sh:t, I'd have enough money for a night out with the lass and a kebab in the taxi home.

The sad fact is, too many people do not know, or even sadder care, how to treat the land we currently have limited access to, responsibly. And until that mind set changes, those of us who do have respect for the land (and like muggins, carry a spare bag to pick up the less icky litter) and camp responsibly, leaving sites as we find them, will be restricted to legally wild camp in the areas noted by Wayne above.

Obviously there is an large element of cocking a snoot at such restrictions when wild camping is done by stealth and while I know some landowners and land owning organisations do turn a blind eye, viewing such activity as rule bending, not rule breaking if it is done out of sight and leaves no trace; as has also been said above, it not a universally held attitude. So if you follow the good advice already given, you should be okay.

Good luck

Btw, lovely looking part of the world you have to play in there Tommy, thanks for sharing the pics
    Ansum La

Trapper
    People who leave their garbage behind really piss me off. The only thing that I leave behind is my foot prints, poo and a fire pit. If I can't burn it I carry it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    Btw, lovely looking part of the world you have to play in there Tommy, thanks for sharing the pics
    Thanks KS

I have some more in my albums if you would like to look at them.

Cheers

Phil ~ a comment Susanne made on another post (love the desert) got me thinking. On occasions, I get a train home and then walk a mile home through footpaths. It's dark and there's not another soul around. People at work think that's very scary and they think I'm mad.

I feel more at home in the dark country side than I do (or ever will) walking through London at night. Would I like to sleep rough in London? Nope. Would I like to rough in the country? Love it. I am much more "tuned" to the country side as there's a lot of wildlife that will alert you when something is happening. It's all about degrees of risk. So it may take a couple of trips to get used to a solo overnighter but in Basil Faulty language, you're not going to "get mugged by a gang of field mice" (N.B. no liability is accepted by me if this happens to you in the New Forest though).

So, go and enjoy yourself and leave no trace, but do please let us know how it goes.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Thanks KS

I have some more in my albums if you would like to look at them.

Cheers
    Deffo, you want to start your own thread with them fella
    Ansum La