Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you a bushcrafter?

Quote Originally Posted by EJS View Post
    the scale was just a quick thing, nothing serious in it at all....
    Yeah totally!

I think if you want to call yourself a bushcraft, survivalist, prepper what ever its fine! Its just a label that we as a species like to give ourselves, nothing more. If you enjoy yourself outside using a few skills and feel better for it then you can call yourself anything you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post

Im doing a wilderness first aid course in July (I have done first aid for work before which has lapsed) so this will fill in the gaps in some of my knowledge but I wouldnt raise my score because of this.
    Its ok doing a course, its then being able to apply the skills taught when it counts, for example cannulating a shutdown patient, or reducing a fracture in the dark, on a mountain side, when its howling a gale...it isn't an easy undertaking in normal conditions without the practice to back that up...

Its also dependent on your level of need of course....I have a Mountain/Outdoor Medical qualification that requires 60 hours of clinical practice per annum, however I wouldn't expect the average First Aider to need anywhere close to that - the annual update for the HSE FAAW is adequate for most workplaces but the amount of skills degradation I see in First Aid is amazing, even from medical professionals ! (its what i do by the way). You can apply that same theory on skills degradation to any skill.

An instructor on another course I did in Swiftwater Rescue summed it up quite nicely... Knowledge & Training + Experience = Judgement
    [

I won't even consider myself a bushcrafter,let alone scale myself.

All I consider myself to be, is someone who enjoys the outdoors, using traditional and modern equipment and techniques. I will never claim to know everything, but will always listen, watch and learn new things..

As for first aid?... Yes, I will say I consider myself very competent,(SJA,CFR,CMT(retired)) but there is still lots I don't know..

That is the beauty of life, always learning, always doing, and mostly, ALWAYS enjoying.
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

Trapper
    ok how about this one:

scale of 1 - 5 on each of the following: 1 - absolute begineer but with some ideas and 5 - competent, confident and able to teach others easily and correctly.

on each of the following:

Ability to create and maintain safe shelter
    Abiltity to navigate, orientate and manouver (spelling) in most real situations
    Ability to harvest food from your (wild) surroundings safely and effectively
    Abiltity to utilise safe drinking water from outdoors sources
    Ability to create new items from scratch/recycle where needed, items that are paramount to bushcrat survival
    Ability to blend in and be one with your surroundings and environment
    Ability to take pleaseure and create fun and fulfilment whilst out in the wild and great outdoors...

what ya reckon?

This is the course I am doing http://www.wildernessfirstaid.co.uk/ its no were near the level that you are, but all I hope is that one day I will be able to use what I have learnt to help someone when it counts. In all honesty I hope I never need it! I help out on bushcraft courses with Natures Craft and we have had to ocasional cut finger (the last one was my son) so I hope I never need to do any more than that.

This is the course I am doing http://www.wildernessfirstaid.co.uk/ its no were near the level that you are, but all I hope is that one day I will be able to use what I have learnt to help someone when it counts. In all honesty I hope I never need it! I help out on bushcraft courses with Natures Craft and we have had to ocasional cut finger (the last one was my son) so I hope I never need to do any more than that.
    First Aid in 14 words...air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, anything else is bad

There are those that will die, no matter what you do...those that will live, no matter what you do..its the other ones you make a difference to
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    First Aid in 14 words...air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, anything else is bad

There are those that will die, no matter what you do...those that will live, no matter what you do..its the other ones you make a difference to

Can't argue with that........
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

Trapper
    ok how about this one:

scale of 1 - 5 on each of the following: 1 - absolute begineer but with some ideas and 5 - competent, confident and able to teach others easily and correctly.

on each of the following:

Ability to create and maintain safe shelter
    Abiltity to navigate, orientate and manouver (spelling) in most real situations
    Ability to harvest food from your (wild) surroundings safely and effectively
    Abiltity to utilise safe drinking water from outdoors sources
    Ability to create new items from scratch/recycle where needed, items that are paramount to bushcrat survival
    Ability to blend in and be one with your surroundings and environment
    Ability to take pleaseure and create fun and fulfilment whilst out in the wild and great outdoors...

what ya reckon?
    any takers???

any takers???
    It would seem not....

Trapper
    It would seem not....
    hahaha indeed. oh well....next....