Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axe refurb

Axe refurb

I moved into my house about 18months ago and the previous owners left a big axe, which, like me, is a bit old and knackered.

Instead of getting rid of it, as it does look like it was useful in its day, I'm going to try and restore it to its former glory - emphasis on try!!

I've never tried anything like this before so any hints and tips would be most welcome.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365608912.639303.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  20.1 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365608936.454896.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	7741

By the looks of things it's be well (ab)used so its going to need a lot of tlc!!!

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Is the handle totally shot..? If not you may be able to remove the head and trim it down a bit so the head fits better. Cut the slot a bit more and whack in an oak wedge n jobs a goodun..

Not 'totally shot' but not good either.

Youre right though - I am going to have take a bit off and put a new wedge in. It's secure at the moment but not fitted properly. There's probably about 1cm gap between end of handle and head.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Nice project, hopefully some images when your finished
    Regards
    David

Good find, a flap wheel on a drill does a pretty good job on a rusty axe

I'll post some photos up when it's finished - all depending how it turns out

Was looking to get a cheap angle grinder to true up some of the edges as the top edge looks as though its been beaten with a hammer a few times. I'll probably need more than a flap wheel for this one

Quote Originally Posted by sblog View Post
    I'll post some photos up when it's finished - all depending how it turns out

Was looking to get a cheap angle grinder to true up some of the edges as the top edge looks as though its been beaten with a hammer a few times. I'll probably need more than a flap wheel for this one
    Use a sharp hand file. You don't want to be taking an angle grinder to it..

Thanks for the advice Jonny......probably be a lot cheaper than buying a grinder ('cos I haven't got one of those either) and always sounds good to me......

Apologies for the poor quality of the pics above - I didn't realise how bad they were until I looked at them on my laptop - I'll post some more up before I start.....

There are some numbers on the head but they are so rusted up I can't make them out - any ideas on what these numbers could represent?? Weight / Model number??

Quote Originally Posted by sblog View Post
    There are some numbers on the head but they are so rusted up I can't make them out - any ideas on what these numbers could represent?? Weight / Model number??
    I am not an axe expert, but I imagine it to be the weight. Yours looks to be 5 or 6 lb, and looks like an American felling axe, possibly made by Elwell.