Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: how much kit do you REALLY need?

how much kit do you REALLY need?

Hi all, just a quick post about the amount of kit that its easy to start hording lol i when i 1st started getting some kit together, i didn't realise that alot of it was aimed at survival rather than bushcraft. I started to get that much bits and bobs that my wife was seeing fatwood and metal tins etc coming out of draws all over the house ha ha anyway the point im trying to make is how do you separate your kit to realistic everyday carry and then the survival bushcraft bag for weekends out etc? Just be good for us to share our kit packing order and what we all seem to feel we need every day and what we feel we can leave in that bushcraft bag?

I know exactly what you are saying here, and I have to be a bit ruthless when packing. But aside from the basic kit that goes every time, I pack for each trip. I don't yet have the necessary confidence to keep a list that doesn't change very much. I think I need a lot more trips to get it right.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

I agree with BJ, my kit changes everytime I go out.

I've been practicing bushcraft for 20 odd years and my gear has and continues to evolve to suit my changing needs.

The element of Bushcraft that I just don't get is the current obsession with the "EDC" and "BOB".

For those new to the forum etc,
    EDC= Every Day Carry
    BOB= Bug Out Bag

I don't carry an EDC because I work 2 miles from my house. I have NO need to carry a key ring containing a torch, knife, fire lighter, tinder, bottle opener, GPS, satellite dish, inflatable Land Rover etc etc.
    I do understand that if you work in a more remote area then yes you should be prepared but I am still to meet anyone who actually NEEDS to carry an EDC kit.

With regard to the "BOB", what are we bugging out from. Civil unrest? Zombies? North Koreans? Mad Scousers? (Lol sorry fellas, couldn't resist that one). Seriously tho, I recently watched a "bushcrafter" (who I think is a bit of a joker), do a video on his amazing Bug out kit that was the size of a small satchel that was supposed to support him, his wife and his kids!!

Anyway, back to the point. I do have loads of kit that I don't use "all" the time, but I will use all over it "some" of the time.

Ade.

I suppose if you break it right down you need a cutting tool and some means of making fire. When I practice bushcraft that's about all I carry. Admittedly I don't often stay out overnight and I am usually not far from home.

Great points fellas, your hitting the nail on the head here. I think there's a fine line in some respects with bushcraft and survival gear ie foil blankets as a kind of example, but me personally, i think its VERY easy to get carried away and have to carry on your back more than yurealisticly need. Don't get me wrong, i love getting new gear and seeing what's out there (that's how i ended up with so much ha ha) but as i say, what point do you think....hang on a minute do i really have to lug this around ha ha

* you realisticly need.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave ward View Post
    * you realisticly need.
    For a comfortable trip? Or a need to survive, god how did I get into this situation?

What I need when I am out is the gear that will give me the most amount of comfort + fun that I am willing to haul with me.

What that is, is up to the indiviual. F.eks on an overnight trip, that may involve something to cook in. That may be a
    tin that used to contain peas to cook in, or I can use a Zebra billy can. It does not need to be a zebra, but it's nice to have something like that.

Everyone have to do their own hike.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Dave ward View Post
    Great points fellas, your hitting the nail on the head here. I think there's a fine line in some respects with bushcraft and survival gear ie foil blankets as a kind of example, but me personally, i think its VERY easy to get carried away and have to carry on your back more than yurealisticly need. Don't get me wrong, i love getting new gear and seeing what's out there (that's how i ended up with so much ha ha) but as i say, what point do you think....hang on a minute do i really have to lug this around ha ha
    Everyone hikes their own hike.

And what I need is to have fun. So I bring a flint and steel fire kit. Because It's fun to start a fire that way. But I could just bring a lighter. It's about 100% more efficient, and lighter and less bulky. But just bringing that to start my camp fire, takes some of the fun away from me.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    I agree with BJ, my kit changes everytime I go out.

I've been practicing bushcraft for 20 odd years and my gear has and continues to evolve to suit my changing needs.

The element of Bushcraft that I just don't get is the current obsession with the "EDC" and "BOB".

For those new to the forum etc,
    EDC= Every Day Carry
    BOB= Bug Out Bag

I don't carry an EDC because I work 2 miles from my house. I have NO need to carry a key ring containing a torch, knife, fire lighter, tinder, bottle opener, GPS, satellite dish, inflatable Land Rover etc etc.
    I do understand that if you work in a more remote area then yes you should be prepared but I am still to meet anyone who actually NEEDS to carry an EDC kit.

With regard to the "BOB", what are we bugging out from. Civil unrest? Zombies? North Koreans? Mad Scousers? (Lol sorry fellas, couldn't resist that one). Seriously tho, I recently watched a "bushcrafter" (who I think is a bit of a joker), do a video on his amazing Bug out kit that was the size of a small satchel that was supposed to support him, his wife and his kids!!

Anyway, back to the point. I do have loads of kit that I don't use "all" the time, but I will use all over it "some" of the time.

Ade.
    The BOB, I call a get home bag. I don't carry it asan EDC. It's something I put together if the situation makes it wise to have one. Like when we cross the mountains into Sweden in Winter, we have a large bag with sleeping bags, and something to heat water on with us, so that we can survive in the car, if the road conditions suddenly get so bad that we are stuck...happens every winter and conditions up there may change within a space of minutes from nice wetaher to being in a blizzard with storm force winds.

But I do not need that to commute to work, or for going shopping. Then a SAK is nice to have if I need to cut some string or peel an apple...And in winter I throw a samll showel in the back in case my car get stuck in the snow...

It's all according to the situation. In the US people will pack a gun for self defence against two legged and four legged predators...in Norway that is unthinkable.

When I was in the Sudan, 3 of us was going to fly into a remote dessert area in a 2 motored airplane. Two of us packed some survival items. I.e Navigation kit, water, I had my Jerven bag, some food, + comms gear....

the 3rd could not fathom why we were hoarding this stuff and scrounging all the kit we could lay our hands on before going...was planning to bring a shift of clothes and his lap top computer. Until the other feller prepping for the trip, who was a former South African air force colonel told him: "We are going to fly in a twin engine aircraft, over the most dangerous dessert in the world in the haboob (sandstorm) season. If we have an emergency landing, I am NOT sharing my food and water with you!
    (Roald Amundsen)