Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodcraft newbie...:-))

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1948 View Post
    Attachment 7609Trying to get this upAttachment 7610

they're awesome Tony!!

got a question reguarding the wood, you said green birch, is that live wood? sorry if thats a daft question...

Cedar is a nice soft wood to carve.....

Ya it's better to use live or green wood it;s softer,but not at the moment,I hav'ent tryed but Fish has and the sap is on the move so dont go chopping branches off the tree till the leves are out or droped.A nice wood is appal but let that dry for ayear or so,Lime is also a good one,you'r need a Hook or spoon knife there about £15 and then a bit of practise and you'll be there,I'v only been doing it a cuple of yearsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	BILD0027.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	7623

Trapper
    Ya it's better to use live or green wood it;s softer,but not at the moment,I hav'ent tryed but Fish has and the sap is on the move so dont go chopping branches off the tree till the leves are out or droped.A nice wood is appal but let that dry for ayear or so,Lime is also a good one,you'r need a Hook or spoon knife there about £15 and then a bit of practise and you'll be there,I'v only been doing it a cuple of yearsClick image for larger version. 

they are brilliant.

Thanks for all the info Tony and those spoons you've done are superb, i'd love to be able to carve them!!