Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: where to get cheap firesteel blanks?

Trapper

where to get cheap firesteel blanks?

anyone know of anywhere decent to get firesteel blanks? i want to make a few of my own.

thanks for any help

Ebay
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Trapper
    would they be of the same quality as others? Or are they all pretty much the same?

In my experience there is a vast difference in quality. My advice is always to buy LMF blanks, they may be more expensive, but imho. they are better; they last longer, doesn't corrode so fast and throw a good spark.

Trapper
    where would i get LMF blanks jeep? From the company website?

The only fire steel I have that has corroded...is an LMF fire steel :-)
    That said, i don't actually get mine from ebay eitehr. When I make one, it's always just one, so I get a cheap, no brand one. They even sell them at the super markets here.
    They are 1/3 of the price of the LMF ones, and never had a problem with them. I think they throw better sparks, and easier to get sparks from. As they seem softer than LMF steels.
    Of course that makes the life span of them shorter. But The ones I have where made last eyar and still going strong. And at a price of 3£ I am not that concerned if they last me 1 year or 5 years...
    But I have found one that works. Getting them from ebay is more uncertain.

Anyway, I cop off the plastic handle and make something like this, using juniper.

Here is one I made for Jeep, using the knife in the picture that Jeep gifted me with. Still a part of my EDC when i go into the woods :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Trapper
    thats really good mate , i like that thats the sort of thing i wanted o do , is that a cover for the firesteel with the striker in the pic? if so thats a good idea

Trapper
    i was given one of those bear grylls firesteels for my birthday last month, its not bad actually, i have lit the house fire many times with it haha, and i like the fact it has a cover for the steel and a little tinder compartment

In the US, but shipping shouldn't be too bad since they are small and light...

http://usaknifemaker.com/ferro-rods-...-starters.html

Samuel Hearne
    I have been getting mine from EVIL bay and they are good as rune said some are softer, the ones that i get are as good as LMF if you want them the item number is 271025733193 and work out at about £3 for 2 of them the only problem is the waiting time for them to get to you my last lot took about 6 wks to get to me but i am happy with that as i always have 1 or 2 spare in my kit, hope this helps.