Thread: Net Bag Tutorial - for beginniong net makers

Net Bag Tutorial - for beginniong net makers

This is straight forward netting . no increases or decreases.

Once my students can tie the sheet bend http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...2793#post62793 I have them make a simple net bag like this.
    1. Using the chain start http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/about950.html make a chain 16 meshes long. I used a gauge 1 1/2" wide

2. Make a panel 30 rows long.

3. On either side take a separate cord. Count down 5 rows and strung the cord through the side meshes (see top of photo). Tie the ends of the cord together (see bottom of photo).

4. Take a separaate cord and string it through the end meshes (see top of photo). Tie the ends of the cord together to form a loop (bottom of photo).

5. Hang the bag by these 2 end loops. Will hold a lot of onions or potatoes or whatever.
    [img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/asemery/020_zpsc888701f.jpg

************************************************** ************************************************** ****

Here I go. Complicating a simple project. First I removed the side strings and tied the side meshes together using the sheet bend but NO gauge.

Next I took away the end loops. Starting at A (either end) I went across the end row tying into 2 meshes each time.

I tied 20 rows to hake a shoulder strap. To make a simple short handle only tie a couple of rows.

To tie back into the body of the bag I put a loop through the middle of the handle to stretch the netting apart, I first tied into the first 2 loops of the 8 and then back to the handle in the numerical sequence shown.

TaDa

To clarify first step in modification

Excellent tutorial, thanks for sharing it asemery.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Excellent Tut BTW
    Regards
    David

Clever stuff! Thanks for that.

Very good slot! Used to make purse nets in a similar way when my Grandad was alive.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

I have looked at the website a few times over the last couple of days with great interest. This knotmaking lark seems to be growing on me. I might have a go at making a few things.

Cheers Neil

At my recent net making demonstraton I made up a panel of netting and was about to tie up the sides to make a storage bag. I realized that if I used small soft shackles

I could change the number of side meshes I included and make either a storage /shopping bag

or a storage hammock

Small carabiners would work equally well. Tony
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

i really like this, thanks for the share

cheers

Madz

Very impressive, asemery .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin