Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st trip on Big Water this year

Peasant
    About 10 miles W.S.W. of Newcastle Upon Tyne

1st trip on Big Water this year

I'd paddled a couple of times this year on the Tyne at Hexham but after chatting with my mate Brian, we decided it was time to get back across to the lakes and, all things considered, Ullswater once again came up top of our "Aye that'll do" list.

We set off about 8.15 and arrived about 9.45 to find the top end of the lake covered with a thin layer of ice to about 100ft out!

Undaunted

We carried on down the road, passing Watermillock and the Outward Bound centre, dropping back down to the lake again to find it ice free and more or less flat

We pulled in to one of the laybys and got the boats onto the beach, loaded up and;

away!

There was a Police boat beating about for some reason;

Fairly unusual in my experience, only ever seeing this sort of thing once, a few years ago, after a drowning

We hadn't heard anything about a tragedy so assumed they were probably training, they were backwards and forwards for most of the day, sometimes at what appeared to be full speed, other times just making headway.

Anyway, we cut across the lake into a bit of chop caused by the wind that by now had picked up to a light breeze, just enough to blow you off course if you stopped paddling but with a promise of stronger stuff to come. We planned to paddle down the lake, in the lee of the far shore but found on arrival that we were paddling into the wind again so after 30 mins of struggling down the lake, we cut across the wind to Aira point, where we pulled out for a brew stop.

It was pretty cold, so once the Kelly had done its stuff,I lit a small fire with the contents of the fire bowl.

It's surprising to some folk but you don't need a raging bonfire to warm you up, as long as you can find a bit of shelter from the wind. A storm blown tree made a really good wind break in this case, as well as providing some of the fuel too.

After about 40 mins or so, we set off once more, the camera was stowed in its drybag as there were occasional snow and sleet showers blowing off the hills and up the lake and the wind was tossing the odd splashy breaker against the boats too.

We again cut across the wind diagonally, there is probably a proper "term" for this but I've no idea what it might be other than "tacking"?, whatever, we set the noses of the boats at Silver Bay and cut across in fairly short order.

Finding it a bit blowy and exposed in Silver Bay, we paddled around Silver point where the wind had a bit of a chew at us again,

I cant remember whether this one was going down or coming back up (I think it was coming back, looking at the trim of Brians boat) but it gives an idea of conditions

We headed past Lingy Holme and eventually pulled in to the shelter of Purse Point, where we again got the kettle on and lit another small fire, to keep off the chill while we had our lunch.

We had been parked up for about 20 mins,when a couple of lads came around the corner from the north, paddling what looked like small sea kayaks. They came ashore next to us, passed the time of day and then set about getting their lunch.

After about an hour or so, we cleared up, packed our kit once more and carried the boats a few yards across the point and back into the water.

We headed across to Glenridding and deciding it was time to head back, I rigged the sail and with Brian asking if I wanted him to video it and the camera once again back in the drybag, I set sail

It was a bit odd at first and I think we both expected me to end up in the water but after a few minutes and after Brian catching up, I decided to give a bit of video a go

A little bit scratchy at first but then I figured out "what was what" and I was hooked!

We continued for a couple of miles, me sailing, Brian paddling, then pulled out to drop the sail. Off once more, we paddled for half an hour and I decided to put the sail back up, so Brian carried on up the side of the lake, while I quickly set it up again. It only takes a couple of minutes but in spite of the short time I was off the water, I still couldn't close the gap between us, arriving back at the car about the same amount of time it had taken to re-rig the sail, later than Brian.

The big difference however, was that I had hardly touched the water with the paddle

All in all a really good day out, with a good mate.

thanks for looking

Steve

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    superb! I'm so jealous!

Thanks for posting Steve - really enjoyable

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Looks like a good day out on the water, interesting place and nice pictures. thanks for sharing.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Samuel Hearne
    That looked like a very good day, do you ever fish when you are on the water?

[

Enjoyed that fella's, brilliant post.

Love it!!

Hoping to "do" Derwent water soon, but we'll be heading to Loch Ken around May before the midges get too bad, to do a bit of Pike fishing and hammock camping from my mate's Canadian.

I was watching THIS and very tempted to buy it so we had one each but funds are tight after splashing out on a hammock and related paraphernalia. Someone got a bargain!
    It's not the cough that carries you off,

It's the coffin they carry you off in!

Trapper
    The beautiful San Joaquin valley in California in the U.S.A
    I have never spent much time in any boat , but you guy's make it look fun for sure ! Was the other guy paddle like mad to keep up ? In the vid the sail didn't look very big , but obviously it works great !

Wow - looks like you both had a bit of fun .
    Wish I had myself a canoe, but unfortunately I've got nowhere to put it.
    I totally agree with you about the fire size - for cooking, brews, and a bit of warmth, most of my blazes are no more than 10 inches diameter.
    'A white man makes a large fire and sits far away. An Indian makes a small fire and sits close.'
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin