Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hibernation... What have you been up to over the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    I still need to improve my knowledge of wild edibles / medicinals, a gap in my knowledge I hope to actively address this spring. And, having got to a point of confidence and comfort both ground dwelling and tree swinging when hiking about, I would like to try canoe camping at some point as this year as it just looks fun.
    Yeah I've been trying to improve my wild edibles knowledge (it all looks like weeds to me) I've also decided I really need to improve my knowledge of British Trees and shrubs as well so I might have to spend some time today hunting down a small book on the subject.
    "The greatest joy in nature is the absence of man."

Quote Originally Posted by Unspoken Degree View Post
    Yeah I've been trying to improve my wild edibles knowledge (it all looks like weeds to me) I've also decided I really need to improve my knowledge of British Trees and shrubs as well so I might have to spend some time today hunting down a small book on the subject.
    There are plenty of books out there, that is for sure. But for some reason, I just can't get knowledge of wild edibles / medicinals to stick in my head. It isn't a lack of enthusiasm, at least I don't think so, but regardless if I'm out and about and referring to a book, following instructions noted down from a video or even on a course (and yes I have paid for one) and in the company of a walking botanical encyclopaedia, any knowledge I gain is gone by the morning?

What makes this state of affairs particularly annoying is when the girlfriend backs me into a corner and talks at me about what has happened on latest edition of I'm strictly a non entity without any X factor and the only way to Essex is via my big brother's driving school, every unwanted piece of trivial froth becomes etched in brain stone.

NO! The only people who are allowed to be know by a single name are South American footballers (and possibly Madonna, when she was younger).

So, if anyone knows of a way to help someone with a wild food learning disability, please get in touch.
    Ansum La

I'm strictly a non entity without any X factor and the only way to Essex is via my big brother's driving school, every unwanted piece of trivial froth becomes etched in brain stone.
    LOL !!

So, if anyone knows of a way to help someone with a wild food learning disability, please get in touch.
    When learning medical stuff I use flash cards and mnemonics dunno if that would help ?
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    LOL !!
    When learning medical stuff I use flash cards and mnemonics dunno if that would help ?
    Cheers fella, it might. My dyslexia may work against the effectiveness of flash cards (unless they were just pictures) but auditory mnemonics have worked for me in the past and I see no reason why they should not work in this instance.
    Ansum La

Cheers fella, it might. My dyslexia may work against the effectiveness of flash cards (unless they were just pictures) but auditory mnemonics have worked for me in the past and I see no reason why they should not work in this instance.
    I have used pictoral flash cards as a method of teaching anatomy and physiology.......changing the subject matter should work just as well with any luck
    [

If I used a picture of wild flora on one side and a couple of symbols on the other, such as:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Food.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	7522 for an edible,
    Name:  Medicinal.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  5.0 KBfor a medicinal and...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DONT TOUCH.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	7524 for something best avoided; I could probably at least group wild flora into basic categories, which would be a start.

If that worked, I could then try composing a helpful mnemonic, listing identifying features (and perhaps later down the line if it is sticking, properties) to try and remember names.

Fella, I think we might have a plan, cheers for your help
    Ansum La

Fella, I think we might have a plan, cheers for your help
    No problem.....Its what i do for a living anyway...teach so I may actually utilise something similar for another project I have - mutual support thats whats great about this site eh Colin ?
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    My wife has had our first child
    Congrats to you both Olly. Kids are great, I couldn't imagine been without my three little angels !!.

Made a few spoons and forks. Also made a spork and have just started my second. Also made a buck saw yesterday but not happy with it. I have part of an old oak beam in the garden so I will have a go at using that for the frame. Bought plenty of bits and bobs and nearly ready for my first camp of the year at next's week's Cornwall RV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    No problem.....Its what i do for a living anyway...teach so I may actually utilise something similar for another project I have - mutual support thats whats great about this site eh Colin ?
    It certainly is Wayne and I for one have definitely benefited from the wealth of knowledge the folks here are willing to share.
    Ansum La

I like that flash card idea... you could go out with a couple at random and hunt down whatever's on the cards
    "The greatest joy in nature is the absence of man."