Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hibernation... What have you been up to over the winter?

Hibernation... What have you been up to over the winter?

Hello all

Haven't been to the site in a couple of months, for various reasons, and haven't done much bushcraft over the winter months.

So seeing as its thawing out a bit now what has everyone else been up to during hibernation?

Personally I been trying to put together various bits of improvised/budget gear whilst also deciding on what should stay/go/be added to my fire kit.
    "The greatest joy in nature is the absence of man."

I've made various bits of leather gear - pouches, sheaths, and that kind of thing.
    But I've also managed to get out quite a bit as well. Mainly just for the day - no camping out (which I don't seem to enjoy as much nowadays). Lots of wildlife watching, which will get even better now Spring is here. And lots of good walks as well - I've got in quite a fair bit of the North Downs Way (not all at once, mind you).
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Much the same as Humakt to be honest,quite a lot of bird watching,bit of fishing,I've got four dogs so I am out with them a lot. Paul

Yeah I've got a couple of dogs that need walking daily too so thats the extent of the outdoors for me this winter so far... pretty much exhausted all the local walks though so am looking forward to going a little further afield now its getting to camping weather again.

It'd be lovely to be close enough to an area like the downs for daily dog walking Humakt. Would'nt mind getting into the old leather working myself but I try to limit myself to ten or so new hobbies a year haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspoken Degree View Post
    what has everyone else been up to during hibernation?
    wishing some people would stay at home and...others not ignore road closed notices when theres deep snow on the moors

Honing skills at home, learning new skills at work, and making bits and bobs
    Last edited by Silverback; 17-03-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    [

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Honing the skills, teaching Winter survival skills, bird/fox family watching as well
    as photography plus wildlife protection in support of 'Op Meles'
    Regards
    David

Pike fishing and putting together my "kit" ready for some canoe hammocking as opposed to canoe camping with all mod cons.
    It's not the cough that carries you off,

It's the coffin they carry you off in!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    Pike fishing and putting together my "kit" ready for some canoe hammocking as opposed to canoe camping with all mod cons.
    like the sound of that.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    like the sound of that.

A mate has a Coleman Ram X 15' Canadian that we use for paddling about the local rivers in the fishing close season, we both need to be on the water and when March 14th comes round the rivers are shut until June 16th for our type of (coarse) fishing, so paddling about and camping on isolated banks has been a great way of keeping in touch with the water. We normally use my little Vango banshee but have decided to get the hammocks and go all "bushcrafty" with it. I've also developed a massive interest in compass navigation and map reading and intend to do some open access walking this year. Hopefully combining it with the bushcraft and hanging side of things too.

There's plenty of open access land local to me with sensible hikes between villages etc.

I've spent the winter looking into it all.
    It's not the cough that carries you off,

It's the coffin they carry you off in!

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    like the sound of that.
    A mate has a Coleman Ram X 15' Canadian that we use for paddling about the local rivers in the fishing close season, we both need to be on the water and when March 14th comes round the rivers are shut until June 16th for our type of (coarse) fishing, so paddling about and camping on isolated banks has been a great way of keeping in touch with the water. We normally use my little Vango banshee but have decided to get the hammocks and go all "bushcrafty" with it. I've also developed a massive interest in compass navigation and map reading and intend to do some open access walking this year. Hopefully combining it with the bushcraft and hanging side of things too.

There's plenty of open access land local to me with sensible hikes between villages etc.

I've spent the winter looking into it all.

Sounds fantastic... been wanting to try open canoeing for a while now, seems to fit so nicely with British bushcraft, just my lack of swimming ability thtas been holding me back from doing something about it. I'd like to do something about it one day though.