Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Donations mod ofr forum

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Know what I like about this site ?

Apart from the mods we are all the same but still unique and that the features it has are already free. We have a nice, calm and essentially self moderating forum based on mutual respect. Allowing people to donate to get special privileges or elevate status isnt something. I'd like to see.

I have been lucky enough to have spent time with a few of the guys and gals at local meets since I have been on the forum. What strikes me is that everybody is chilled, there is no pretence from anybody and you are not judged on what kit you have, how much you know about bushcraft, the list is endless. Since our meet last week at the Cornwall RV I have invested in some more kit. I always thought that I would try a couple of meets to see what it was like before I spent any more money on kit. To be honest, I love it.

If it wasn't for this forum and the way it is run, I probably wouldn't have ever joined a bushcraft forum.

Don't change it when its not broke. Messages can be saved in a file on your computer within seconds so why increase the capacity. I think that the majority will agree that having special privileges will just divide the forum members as it can be plainly seen on other forums.

Keep it as it is.

Cheers Neil

Ya Neil wot you said

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1948 View Post
    Ya Neil wot you said
    Tony - wot you said about wot Neil said.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Tony - wot you said about wot Neil said.

M@
    yup
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Trapper
    i agree with both sides of the 'arguement' incentives to donate is a good idea, but making donaters 'special' creates an us and them mentality, and i utterly despise us and them mentalities, a good idea though.. would be a nice idea to have a section on the home page just to say thankyou and name those that have donated, maybe an occasional special mention for repeat donaters.... if only for the day, or day after the donation...
    or maybe even an end of month/year report on those that have donated...
    but again i wouldnt want it turn into a list of, these are the people who really care, take note you free-loaders.. the very mentality of the forum is a share and share alike.. im a firm believer in freedom of thought and information and wouldnt want to jeprodise that for any amount of server space or sparkly name tags... at the same time though, servers arnt free, it has to be paid for some how and if it suits the ethos of the community to keep those contributors silent then so be it, but personally i would like to know who to thank for helping to keep this site alive.. aside from ashley of course..

Quote Originally Posted by Yungen of Bury View Post
    .. would be a nice idea to have a section on the home page just to say thankyou and name those that have donated..
    There's already one on right hand side of the home page roughly half way down.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.