Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One woodland, one fat bloke, one month!

One woodland, one fat bloke, one month!

As the title says really. I am going to try to live and eat off of the land for one month starting mid April this year and I am hoping to raise LOTS of money at the same time for 'The Shooting Star Chase' children's hospice.
    If you guys could find it in your hearts to donate even the smallest amount I would be so grateful.
    When the challenge starts there will be a blog to follow and regular up dates on my 'Just giving' page compliments to my wife as I cant leave the woods for a month and there is no internet connection down there so she has agreed to be my update secretary.

PLEASE PLEASE help me make a difference to the lives of children that probably wont see their 19th birthday.

For more details please have a look at my link below.

www.justgiving.com/1woodland-1fatbloke-1month
    Last edited by The Joker; 12-03-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Will look back in April with a small donation. Bloody good effort.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

I will wish you the best of luck fella, look forward to the blog updates and hope by May 13th, a slightly less fat bloke wanders back from the woods, satisfied in the knowledge he not only thrived outdoors for a month, but also raised a few bob for a good cause into the bargain.

And I'm sure a small donation from the Bank of KS will be forthcoming when you do so.

Atb,

Colin
    Ansum La

Thank you guys, your support is very much appreciated.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Looking forward to seeing how it goes,I'm sure you'll get plenty of support from here.

Good luck with your quest mate. I will certainly be making a donation and as a very keen forager myself, I will definitely be reading the blog to see how you get on.

Can I ask a couple of questions please with regard to the parameters of the exercise.
    Are you planning on soley foraging for your food or will there be an element of hunting/trapping involved with regard to meat.
    Where are you planning on obtaining your carbs from - my suggestion if it helps, is to go for Silverweed, the roots are huge and swollen with starchy goodness at this time of year.
    Will you be taking any "basic" supplies in with you such as rice, oats, flower etc.

I am really looking forward to following your progress for this fanatic worthy cause mate.

Good luck and all the best.

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    Good luck with your quest mate. I will certainly be making a donation and as a very keen forager myself, I will definitely be reading the blog to see how you get on.

Can I ask a couple of questions please with regard to the parameters of the exercise.
    Are you planning on soley foraging for your food or will there be an element of hunting/trapping involved with regard to meat.
    Where are you planning on obtaining your carbs from - my suggestion if it helps, is to go for Silverweed, the roots are huge and swollen with starchy goodness at this time of year.
    Will you be taking any "basic" supplies in with you such as rice, oats, flower etc.

I am really looking forward to following your progress for this fanatic worthy cause mate.

Good luck and all the best.

Ade
    Hi Ade,
    Thanx for your reply.
    I will be hunting/trapping for my meet. Carbs! luckily the farm that the woodland is on, is a registered organic farm so there are no chemicals been used. I'm looking at Reedmace, Burdock, Silverweed (thanx for the heads up) and there is plenty of flavours on the land around then too.
    I'll also take some flower and rice and one large bar of Bournville. If I can I want to be completely self sufficient its a personal challenge I want to be able to say I achieved, but also I'm aware not to be stupid regarding my health.
    I've been using this permission for a few years now so I have a good idea where certain things are and its riddled with rabbits and pigeons.
    I'd be lying if I said I'm not nervous about this challenge, but I am really looking forward to it especially as if it is possible that some of the kids from the Hospice may be able to come down and visit.
    I've lived off of the land for a week before, but I feel 4 weeks should be a real test for me. I know this may sound a bit soft but I think one of the toughest bits will not being with my wife and son for the month, even though they will visit me to pick up the video diary and blog.
    I really appreciate all the support and my wife is going to print off all the messages of encouragement I get (if any...lol) as these should give a good boost for me.

Cheers
    Pete

Like I said before mate, I really do wish you the best of luck.

The bar of choccy is an absolute must too pal. It'll help lift your spirits.

Don't forget for a special treat, Saint George's day mushroom (Calocybe Gambosa) will be out whilst you are doing your challenge. Would go nice with some of those pigeon breasts.

Thanks again.
    Ade.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    But Pete, you dont know you daisys from your dandelions..! You are gonna die..!
    Nice one buddy, will get some money over at some point :0)

Yup, as others have said- best of luck.
    Two good things will come out of it: you'll raise some money for a damn good cause, and you'll also lose a bit of weight!
    Wish I had the knowledge to do something similar.
    Congratulations and best of luck to you.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/