Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few days in The Lakes

A few days in The Lakes

I had a few days holiday left at work to take so headed to The Lakes with a pal last week, we were taking the hammocks so I'd scouted out a decent looking place on the maps and Google Earth. I'd picked out an area by a medieval settlement which looked like it would be interesting to see, I wasn't sure what the hammocking options would be like but we found a cosy little place and settled in for a few days.

Some pics ....

The short walk in

Waterfall

The first glimpse of the medieval remains we would encounter

Following the tree line

Stopping for a break at a crystal clear pool

We found a decent looking spot in a very dry plantation, my camo Superfly blending in very well

Micks' setup

We took a wander up through the forest until we broke out onto the clear hillside, a view across to the mountains opposite camp

While Mick had a siesta one afternoon I set out to explore the woods some more

More hanging potential

A bit early for the Primrose but I had a good feed on the wood sorrel, finding a nice natural stone and moss seat under a tree in the sun

Then I went to check out the ruins a bit more, if anyone has any information on these types of buildings I'd like to have a read one day

Some were barely visible under the grass

In a cluster of four similar buildings this one was the most intact and visible

Were they roofed, is the outer ring for holding livestock? I think I could make out a smaller wall within the inner chamber, perhaps a sectioned off sleeping area? I couldn't work out were the hearth might be though.

Back to the woods

For a brew

And sausage sarnies, my old Feather 442 which I gave to Mick was temperamental to put it mildly

A nice couple of days and we never saw another soul once we'd left the car park area. We dodged the rain until the last night which meant our kit needed drying out, always a pain. The wood we were camped in was like a giant tinderbox despite what seems like endless rain recently, we had to be so careful with any type of fire or flame, digging down through the peat until we hit rock was required. The winds were pretty strong on Thursday night, when you're in a thick plantation with lots of fallen and leaning trees it always makes for a fun time when the wind comes howling through and gets the hammock bouncing

Kit List:

ULA Ohm backpack
    Warbonnet Camo Superfly
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 SL
    UK Hammocks Winter TQ
    UK Hammocks Winter UQ
    DIY Weathershield
    6 x Alpkit Ti v stakes
    6ft poly tree straps
    Dutch Clips
    Dutch Buckles
    Dutch Flyz
    Dutch Hook
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Bushbuddy Ultra
    MBD Mini Atomic alcohol stove
    8oz meths (used two)
    Broken up natural firelighter bricks
    Terra Nova 900ml ti pot
    GSi Cascadian plastic mug

Nescafe 3-in-1 sachets
    Chocolate Horlicks
    Thick pork sausages
    Breadcakes
    Lyons Syrup porridge
    Weetabix cereal bars (left on bed at home )
    Pepperami
    Beef rice
    Mug Shots
    Hip flask of sloe gin

Knife
    Laplander
    FAK
    Poop pack
    Wash kit
    Bug cream (didn't need)

Zebralight H51
    2 x Energizer Lithium AA
    MP3 player
    Niteize Glowrings
    PacerPoles

Possum merino beanie
    Army wool headover
    Meraklon wristies
    OR Ninjaclava
    Berghaus Powerstretch gloves
    Heatholder socks
    Norrona Goretex trousers

9.2kg

Tramp
    Looks like you had a great few days Guys, enjoyed the pictures, need to workout how to put them on here. I plan going up to the lakes soon myself, thanks for your thread nice one

Still great pics and still no new underquilt pic lol

WOW
    Fantastic photos - looks like you had a wonderful time .
    It's a grand, unique experience to come across ancient ruins in the wilderness.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by Tony7 View Post
    Looks like you had a great few days Guys, enjoyed the pictures, need to workout how to put them on here. I plan going up to the lakes soon myself, thanks for your thread nice one
    Cheers Tony

Quote Originally Posted by suggy View Post
    Still great pics and still no new underquilt pic lol
    I'll get some this weekend, if I remember

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    WOW
    Fantastic photos - looks like you had a wonderful time .
    It's a grand, unique experience to come across ancient ruins in the wilderness.
    Thanks OA&T, it was nice to be able to have a look around the place and imagine what it must have been like

Very nice too!
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

That looks glorious fella and not running into another soul while you and your mate were out there must have been something (Meets and gatherings are grand, but sometimes it is nice just to get away for a day or two, with just a mate or even on your jack jones). I haven't got up to that part of the world for far too long and your pictures have definitely reminded me, if any reminder was needed, that you don't have to travel halfway around the world to enjoy some spectacular scenery, so thanks for sharing.

I enjoyed reading the kit list too (I always do ) and I have what may be a stupid question for you. How much space / weight do you find the UK Hammock's top quilts saves you, compared to a sleeping bag rated to cooler conditions (lots?) and would you say there is much danger of quilt failing to keep you covering, if you move in your sleep (I have a tendency to dance in mine according to current swimbo)?

Cheers,

Colin
    Ansum La

Thanks - I very much enjoyed that

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

The ruins are btw. not from the middle ages, they are much older; bronze age or iron age (some are even as old as latter stone age).

How exactly these houses looked is unknown, but most likely they were dug halfway into the ground and built with dry set stone walls with thatched roofs almost down to the ground.

The houses are constructed with rooms in layers, to contain heat as effectively as possible. Phosphate analysis suggest that some og the outer "layers" housed livestock.

A lot of these houses had cellars btw.
    Last edited by JEEP; 12-03-2013 at 07:14 PM.