Thread: Hammocks - Underblankets / Quilts - Will I need one in the Spring or Summer if warm?

Alone in the Wilderness

Hammocks - Underblankets / Quilts - Will I need one in the Spring or Summer if warm?

Hi all

My first post here : )

I've recently bought a DD Hammock and am now wondering If I need an underblanket or quilt for the Spring and/or Summer? Or are these only for the Winter months? Is it warm enough without an underblanket/quilt in the Spring/Summer or should I take one anyway?

Any thoughts or advice are very welcome

Cheers

Martin

I think you'll need one. But it does not have to be a 70£ snugpak. You can make one from a very cheap sleeping bag. Simply hang it under the hammock with bungee chords. And thats should be more than enough. Or use a foam mat between the layers in the hammock.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Hi there and welcome to the forum. In spring it can still be cold enough to require a decent underquilt, but as Rune says why shell out 70 quid. I use a combination of a US army poncho liner and if its really cold then a cheapy square doss bag as well. In summer i will still use something if the wind is strong as this is what will strip the heat away from under you
    [

I just use an old sleeping bag as a cocoon, works really well.

Still need one. Have a look through the forums under 'Sleeping', there are quite a few posts now on DIY underquilts.

Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by skids View Post
    I just use an old sleeping bag as a cocoon, works really well.
    I was thinking of sourcing an old 38pattern or similar maggot for this purpose. You just answered the question, cheers!
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Trapper
    The beautiful San Joaquin valley in California in the U.S.A
    Martinxo ,

This is the most important web site I've found for Bushcrafting ! You will learn a lot here.
    Nilo52

Alone in the Wilderness
    Hi everyone, thanks for your helpful comments and suggestions. Does everyone feel that in the UK it is essential to have some kind of under-hammock insulation in the spring or summer months?

I'm lucky enough to go Shrafting at least twice a month most months and use my hammock all year round. All I use is a decent kip mat and my sleeping bag.
    Even in the summer your back will get chilly without something underneath it because the weight of you will compress the lofting of a sleeping bag.