Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brew in the Woods - Testing Stoves

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Red face Brew in the Woods - Testing Stoves

Hi Folks,

Enjoyed a nice brew in the woods today with Martin, Matt & the wife. I started testing two Stoves that I am taking a look at, one being the White Box Stove and the other the Honey-Stove.

First impressions; I love both and can see merits for each, but before I've made any final decisions I will be testing them a lot more.

The wife shot a couple of minutes footage whilst we were out, I'll post that here when it's done uploading.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Here's the video:
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Hi Folks,

Enjoyed a nice brew in the woods today with Martin, Matt & the wife. I started testing two Stoves that I am taking a look at, one being the White Box Stove and the other the Honey-Stove.

First impressions; I love both and can see merits for each, but before I've made any final decisions I will be testing them a lot more.

The wife shot a couple of minutes footage whilst we were out, I'll post that here when it's done uploading.
    i was thinking of getting the honey-stove. i'll be checking back to see what you think

do you reckon you'll get this ash?
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/pr...asp?PageID=110
    or is it plenty big enough as it is?

No it's plenty big enough as it is. It's bigger than a Bushbuddy stove, so you can already get chuncky bits of wood in it, which will probably result in less maintenance to keep it going, time will tell.
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

and it's cheaper than the bushbuddy
    the honey-stove does look pretty awesome.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broadie96 View Post
    and it's cheaper than the bushbuddy
    the honey-stove does look pretty awesome.
    It is bigger than the Bushbuddy and packs smaller and is very light. However, the Bushbuddy is a wood gasification stove and consequently burns very efficiently with very little smoke as we saw yesterday. It is also fair to say, from the ashes left at the end of the burn, that the Bushbuddy makes the best use of the available calories.

I really liked the Honey Stove but think it is important to realise the difference between the two systems. Ultimately, the Honey Stove is a very nicely made fire box which does no more than contain and concentrate your fire. It is a very neat design but the same result can be derived by building a fire in a tin with holes in it. The Bushbuddy actually increases the efficiency of your fire.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    ... I really liked the Honey Stove but think it is important to realise the difference between the two systems. Ultimately, the Honey Stove is a very nicely made fire box which does no more than contain and concentrate your fire. It is a very neat design but the same result can be derived by building a fire in a tin with holes in it. The Bushbuddy actually increases the efficiency of your fire...
    They are two different systems and I agree the bushbuddy is more effecient in it's burn.

In principle the honey-stove is just a posh version of Justin's dog-food can hobo-stove the difference being that it packs up flat and I suppose it a little more versatile in that you can build different constructions with it.

The Bushbuddy is an elabourate double-skinned gasification stove that burns as much gas as posible, it is still light and a lovely system. If it wasn't so expensive I would consider getting one. I can appreciate the price-tag considering the good design & construction.
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

They are all pretty awesome .
    I like the fact that the bushbuddy is very fuel efficient!