Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Military background.

Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    Yeh,the I remember now,I was standing right next to you! Seriously though Sapper,one of my "mates"really was there. Paul
    and seriously...so was one of mine....well his older brother was.....my mate followed him into the ooligans a couple of years later
    [

I attempted to join the military at the tail end of high school, but that never worked out due to my heart murmur (has it ever affected my physical activity? - no, but MEPS would hear none of it). I did take 4 years of Air Force JROTC and loved every moment of it, even through the bad times.
    But I definitely have to to agree with Realearner - what matters is that we all enjoy bushcraft .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

....When i was in North Africa I went toe to toe with Rommel in hand to hand combat behind a sand dune...pull up a sandbag, water fairy I want to tell you a story
    Last edited by Silverback; 01-03-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    [

SAS 25 years

...biggest regiment in the British Army, everyone been in it apparently! Ha!

Nope, no service for me.
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    TA for 5 minutes. I passed the tests n had fun doing them, but then got really bored after that.. Also I hate being woken up early..

Like some of the other answers lol :0)

Quote Originally Posted by avalon View Post
    I myself appreciate that many military survival skills can be used to live off the land in an emergency situation but I think bush craft is more about living with nature and going with the flow than it is about battling with nature.
    I have a huge respect for anyone who is or has been in the forces and many do get into bushcraft. I like your statement about going with the flow and not battling nature, if you can except your situation and embrace it you will enjoy the experience more.

I would prefer to use the term "wild living" instead of survival or bushcraft, I want to live with the land and nature, take minimal equipment and let nature provide. For now I am happy with bushcraft, but I think bushcraft and survival are as different as Ray M and Bear G.....

Buy the way, I wasn't in any kind of army as I didnt think I could handle the discpline.

Flying Officer Ehecatl ~ RAF VR (T)
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1948 View Post
    I was in the Salvation Army for about 2 min got chucked out for blowing my own trumpet
    I was told about you when I was given a bowl of soup by one young SA girl.

My uncle drove tank transporters if that counts? I've never had aspirations to be in the military, but I was in the cubs, the scouts and the venture scouts, and then volunteered with the local scouts, as well as being brought up in a farming family so always been outdoors. I only stop in because my daughter is 19 months - when she's a bit older she'll be learning the finer points of shelter building, sailing, fishing and firelighting with her old man!

ok, I confess I thought about joining up with the Engineering Corps when I graduated from University, but I was seduced into working for Nissan instead, and then went into teaching! But now I teach on a farm too so thats ok!