Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Military background.

Military background.

Was just wondering, after reading some posts on another forum, if the majority of people on here have a military background or wish they did. I don't mean to be rude but it does appear that many people have an interest in bush craft because they are army wannabes or have a military background. I myself appreciate that many military survival skills can be used to live off the land in an emergency situation but I think bush craft is more about living with nature and going with the flow than it is about battling with nature.
    Last edited by avalon; 01-03-2013 at 08:48 AM.

No i have never been in the military nor have i ever wanted to be, well maybe when i was 5 but then agian i think all kids want to be at some point . It was the scouts , climbing , hill walking and camping that got me into bush craft

I was, but didn't want to be. I think the experience was good for me, but growing up with two brothers and an ex-scout leader father are the things that made me love camping and being outdoors with a knife and axe. I like woodworking too, so carving and mucking about with a stick is fun too. :-)

I think army training CAN be beneficial, but it's no indicator of ability or knowledge.

Name:  spartan_army.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  31.8 KB 3rd from left, second row.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    Name:  spartan_army.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  31.8 KB 3rd from left, second row.
    ...and I'm the one with the perm and the 'tach standing in the line behind BJ

Seriously though, I've never been in the military, but if using some surplus gear enables me to better enjoy the outdoors, more comfortably camp and share a laugh around the campfire, I can live with people thinking I'm a wannabe.
    Last edited by Kernowek Scouser; 01-03-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added a missing d and the word line, swapped the word share for enjoy
    Ansum La

Hello boys, I thought I reccognised you two, that's me front row with the big gob.
    Last edited by butchthedog; 01-03-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Samuel Hearne
    I have always had a interest in the outdoors, i go vermin shooting, fishing, trapping (snaring) i can remember getting my first air rifle at about 10 then progressing to rifle/shotgun, then i joined the army stayed in for just over 25 years.

Having structure in my life would make my head explode....I'd rather be a vagrant than a soldier.

Spent ten months at a museum doing community service in stead of serving, almost had to go to prison for refusing to serve in the danish army.

I don't mind soldiers (a lot of my friends are proffessional soldiers/officers) - but I cannot accept the fact that Denmark still uses an antiquated draft system, forcing people to serve against their will.
    Had it been voluntary, I might have considered joining.

Served as reg and TA before that Scouts then cadets and honestly think that bushcraft wise it is an equal balance if you love it you will become good at it, if not you will not regardless of any military history
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.